      From: forget_simon <forget_simon@...>
      To: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:27 PM
      Subject: [multimachine] Re: New machine badly needed/an answer maybe

      Hi,

      Another newbie here... Even if I'm following the group for a few years now, I have not made yet the first step into machining or welding.

      A bolt-on lathe is a great idea. However, for people like myself that considers it might be too light at the end, why not add concrete in hollow spaces? This would stiffen the structure while adding weight.

      This hybrid design would require less metal to build than a conventional lathe, be less intimidating than a building a full scale Yeomans lathe, only requiring more common tools and be much simpler to build.

      To all of you, keep on your good work.

      Simon

      P.S.: Please accept my apologies for my written English. It is still not as good as I would like.

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

      > On 08/26/2013 12:26 PM, pokerbacken wrote:
      > > Pat, would it not be "simpler" to use a section of thick walled sq tubong or U beam for the lathe bed?
      >
      > Well, yes and no. The trick is to get it straight and untwisted to +/-
      > 0.001 or better. That is usually done with a press (hydraulic is
      > better, generally.) Then a surface grinder to get it really flat and
      > even. It is simpler, but the tooling is not trivial.
      >
      > > if the headstock is thick walled tubing and it has guiding dowels then add pillowblocks...
      >
      > Same problem, getting things straight and parallel is the trick.
      >
      > > for "ways" think in all we only need 15mm or so guide down sides and top of bed milled flat rest can be left raw, bottom of headstock needs to contact these milled areas aswell to line up so shims are needed.
      >
      > 15mm sounds light to me, but I am not a guru...
      >
      > > the milled areas only need go down to bare metall and are likely made in few min on a modern mill.
      >
      > The biggest problem is a modern mill table may not be good enough, but
      > it probably would be worth trying.
      >
      > > cariage can be as simple as used for mm, just using angle iron to hold shims, might need some added "hold down" with say rubber roller on bottom to secure against unskilled labour wrecking more than tools.
      > > short piece of "way" and "cariage" could be made as milling attachment.
      > > tailstock ? uhm, here i would do some lateral hinking, we would need a slit in the tailstock and several threaded holes in the bed for moving it and threaded rod in a threaded "pillow block" for quill,
      >
      > Take a look at what Sherline did, slide the tailstock ram in a groove
      > and use a handle to drive it. Cut the groove with a cutter held in the
      > chuck. See http://www.cartertools.com/catalog.html for an image.
      > <http://www.cartertools.com/catalog.html>
      >
      > > this would allow regular pillowblocks to be used for boring with just a pulley and a bar (threaded block replaced with regular bearing block), in all fairly quick work in a modern shop, several lathes made in matter of hour with little cost.
      > >
      > > or is it my pneumonia induced deleriom talking?
      >
      > Your delirium isn't the issue, lack of experience, however, may be.

      > "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the
      > advice."
      >
      > Bill Cosby

    • Show all 49 messages in this topic