17557Re: [multimachine] any hobby machinist in the same area

  • Eggleston Lance
    Aug 18, 2013
      Pat,

      Aluminum 6061can be cleanly cut below 1000 rpm.
      It takes a sharp HSS <not carbide> cutter,
      being right on center
      and use kerosene or WD-40 as the lube.

      Other have had great success with the diamond
      shear cutting bit, I have not tried one.

      Aluminum 1xxx series is too gummy to be cleanly machined
      and too soft to be used for machine parts.

      lance
      ++++
      On Aug 18, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Pat Delany wrote:

      Don't know if your lathe is capable of turning an aluminum casting at 3000 rpm (what I have seen recommended)

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic