      From: n9viw <n9viw@...>
      To: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:39 AM
      Subject: [multimachine] Re: any hobby machinist in the same area

      Pat,

      As luck would have it, I DO have an old hobby wood lathe, looks to be a sort of spindle lathe. Very small headstock, probably no more than 3.5-4" swing by maybe 20" long. I don't think it even has the tool rest, but I'm pretty sure there's a dead center in the tailstock. Cast iron, pretty lightweight, but might work for small parts.

      I do have the Gingery series, but as most of my work is in steel, I'm thinking the MM is a better match. Already have my mind spinning with the concept of making a mill/drill by mounting a x/y table with a long x run on a degree table, so I can turn it 90* to the headstock and use it as a short-table lathe rather than having the lathe out one side and the mill out the other. Just ideas for now, but we'll see how it goes!

      Regards,
      Nick (Macomb)

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Pat Delany <rigmatch@...> wrote:

      > Don't forget to learn a little simple aluminum casting. Make strange things fit together with castings that can be turned freehand on a good wood lathe.
      >
      > Pat

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic