17344Re: [multimachine] quality of threaded rod

  • Steve Wan
    Jun 22 11:06 AM
      Hi Dave

      Thanks! I discovered the differences earlier. Lucky did not buy it to swap Metric for Imperial nut for the leadscrew. Nick's idea getting a G-clamp and cutting it. Usually leadscrews are far more longer unless a shorter one.

      Steve Wan

      On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

      Speaking of cheap sources of ACME-ish threaded rod, how about Harbor Fright (or better) C-clamps?  They are usually on sale for half price and the 5" clamp has at least a 6" long threaded piece, plus I bet you could cut the clamp and have a ready-made 'nut' for it to weld onto a project or bracket.

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:
      On 06/18/2013 11:17 PM, Steve Wan wrote:
      Speaking of square threads or acme threads, any idea where's the supplier?
      Having problems find it on the net.

      Note: Acme threads come in either inches or metric.

      Steve Wan

      Sorry, Steve, but Acme is a specific thread for Imperial dimensions, the Metric equivalent, trapezoidal, has a slightly different profile.  See http://www.roton.com/trapezoidal-lead-screws.aspx?line=Trapezoidal and http://www.roton.com/acme-lead-nav.aspx?line=Acme for a discussion.

      Since there are different classes and accuracies, as well as different surface hardnesses, I can't give you all the vendors, there are thousands.  Try going to Use-Enco.Com and looking for COMPONENTS    THREADED ROD & STUDS    ACME THREADED ROD, there are some 338 different sizes there.

      "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

      Nick A

      "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

      "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

      "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

      "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic