17107Re: [multimachine] Re: cooling concerns

  • Adam Simmons
    May 9, 2013
      I doubt it'll be an issue.  Most engines can take heat abuse for quite a while before there are issues.

      I've ran a junkyard assembled Chevy 350 (different pistons, different heads, different compression ratios) on a run stand with no load, and no coolant. WOT was controlled by a string with a spare piston on it. After 10 minutes, we started wondering how long it would run.  The RPM was controlled by valve float - roughly 6500.  After another 5, it started to have heating issues,  at around 20 it finally stopped.

      An engine designed to be air cooled would last much longer, even sitting still.

      On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:

      On 05/09/2013 04:20 AM, greg123452003 wrote:
      > However these are air-cooled motorcycle engines NOT fan-force cooled engines like lawnmowers. These motorcycle engines WILL nip up and seize if there is not a sufficient flow of air over them. Sure a fan and shroud can be added if needed, but it would be very useful to know what is being designed. Without knowing the parameters of the most likely boat and the intended usage this is all wild speculation.

      Air cooled motor cycle engines idle at low load, at high speed there is
      lots of airflow, at low speed, not much. A boat will almost always be
      slow to speed up, hence my concern for additional cooling since the
      amount of time at slow speed will affect the engine temperature.

      advice."