16907RE: [multimachine] overhead belting for milling spindle

  • Bill Donohue
    Mar 21, 2013

      Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

      From: Pierre Coueffin <pcoueffin@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:07 AM
      To: multimachine@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [multimachine] overhead belting for milling spindle

      Sherline uses a toothed belt running in a pulley that has no teeth.  I've never had any problem with the belt slipping or stalling during normal lathe or milling operations with this setup.  They do not invert the belt, since the belt has sloped sides, and the pulley has a matching slope.  In practice, it is like a V-belt, but the teeth allow it to wrap around a smaller diameter pulley.

      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM, David G. LeVine <dlevine@...> wrote:

      Just as an aside, automotive multi-rib belts can be flipped inside out
      if you really need a flat belt. If that doesn't transmit enough torque,
      ribbed pulleys can be cut while running the belt inside out, then
      flipped back once they are installed.

      Another trick is to use automotive timing belts, inside out for flat
      drives, with timing pulleys for 1:1 or 2:1 ratios.