16883Re: [multimachine] Re: don't try to make a multimachine out of this

  • BRIAN GLACKIN
    Mar 12, 2013
      Point of this was ( forgot to add).  Check a local your mechanic especially if he specializes in a particular brand of vehicle.

      On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM, BRIAN GLACKIN <glackin.brian@...> wrote:
      I could get dead engines (volvo's) from an Indy that specializes in repairing them.  Since he buys sells and repairs them, he usually has 1-2 engines every couple of months that he has to get rid of.  He usually just loads up a junk car that he traded in, loads it up with old rotors, mufflers, and other engine parts that he accumulates then flatbeds the whole shooting match to a scrap yard.  I know I could probably just get one for the taking if I pursued this.  Just too many other project and piles of rebuilds to do already.

      On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Shannon DeWolfe <sdewolfe@...> wrote:

      You just have to be persistent and patient. I found two Mazda Miata
      blocks already stripped for $50. A bit later, I found a complete Volvo
      engine and transmission with all accessories, including the shifter for
      $60. Stick to the auto parts section, check it regularly. If you check
      it once a day, after the first search, you will only have to go through
      the things posted that day. Also, check the towns within driving distance.

      Another possibility are the many forums devoted to a specific model.
      Take the Miata for instance. It is a very popular hot rod, racer,
      drifter, etc. I will wager you could get damaged blocks for the cost of
      pickup. If you do that, consider the cost of the round trip to get the
      block before you commit; the closer the better.

      --I've taken to using Mr. because my name misleads folks on the WWW. I am a 57 year old fat man.

      On 3/11/2013 9:49 PM, jgmrequel wrote:
      > Is there any tips for finding small engine blocks for homemade
      > horizontal mills? I guess I'm spoiled with craigslist, but not sure
      > where to look.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic