      From: Ian Newman <ian_new@...>
      To: "multimachine@yahoogroups.com" <multimachine@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 3:51 PM
      Subject: Re: [multimachine] Twittering our project ? relevant links needed

      Hi All,

      The media is not the real issue - whether you use twitter, Facebook, a yahoo group or a forum, the problem is not distribution but visibility.

      If someone wants the information they will make the effort to find it no matter where or how it is stored or distributed.

      There is no point in having a twitter feed (or Facebook presence, yahoo group, etc) if people do not know it exists.

      The focus should be in raising awareness (although I admit that diversifying the information media is of enormous value).

      Pat observed recently that despite a large number of hits on the Make site there were no follow up responses - this suggested that the site is not giving access to an audience interested in the project (curious, but not really interested).

      Instead of blasting out information in all directions in the hopes that maybe the right people will see it, it would be more beneficial to identify the people you want "on side" and target selectively.

      So I pose the question - exactly who are the people who the group/project are trying to contact?

      It is my belief that until the answers to this question are resolved large amounts of effort, time and energy will be dissipated it ineffective promotion of the ideas and concepts and as a result the multimachine will remain a lovely idea without a real application - a solution looking for a problem.

      All the best,
      Ian.

      On 1 Jan 2013, at 17:49, StoneTool <owly@...> wrote:

      I find facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc..........   useless time wasters.

          Not being a particularly "socially oriented" person this is hardly surprising.   Twitter probably has some potential uses.  Here is a page that describes how to use it:   http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Twitter

                                                                                  Howard

      On 01/01/2013 06:02 AM, mlsmith@... wrote:
      Probably need both. Younger folks are all about Facebook, twitter, etc.

      Some of us "more experienced" (read: "Old, and stuck in our ways") folks are email / forum types. I personnally don't do facebook (high school for adults), texting or tweeting ( a boatload of useless messaging on topics not worthy of my limited time ) . . .  we each can choose how to communicate most effectively to friends and family. Each method has pro's / con's.

      Mike S.