Re: Introducing Vance and http://tinyurl.com/evomlit2010participants

  • Nina Liakos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
      Hi Vance,
      I like the Google doc idea! But I can't figure out how you added your photo. When I copy a photo and click on Paste in the cell, nothing happens. Help!
      Note to participants: If you are having trouble accessing the Google doc, it's because there is a stray period at the end of Vance's link. Instead of clicking on the link, right-click on it and select "Copy link address." Then paste that into your address bar, delete the period, and hit Enter.
      For those using Macs, I am sorry but I can't help you.
      Cheers,
      Nina

      --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens <vstevens@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm glad to see so many introductions here. I'm Vance, moderator of the
      > course, American living in Abu Dhabi for the last ten years, have lived in
      > Texas, California, Hawaii, Saudi Arabia, and Oman, as well as UAE. I taught
      > ESL for 20 years, last ten doubling as CALL Coordinator, then worked for an
      > ESL software company, then did a consultancy for Amideast that put me back
      > in the UAE as CALL Coordinator and most recently as lecturer in computing at
      > Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi. I blog at
      > http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com (with links to other blog spaces) and I
      > track my publications and presentations here:
      > http://vancestevens.com/papers.
      >
      > But I've also had a parallel career since 1998 as coordinator of Webheads
      > http://webheads.info At some point TESOL asked me to teach a course for
      > them on Multiliteracies. I agreed and then boned up on the topic (in that
      > order), and I've learned a lot about multiliteracies since, but only from
      > teaching the course over and over again.
      >
      > Multiliteracies entails a bit of experimentation and here's a first one.
      > I've created a Google Docs spreadsheet here:
      > http://tinyurl.com/evomlit2010participants. It's created in such a way that
      > anyone can simply write on it.
      >
      > Go there and fill in your details, first name, family name, where from,
      > where now, best single link where we can learn more about you (ePortfolio),
      > Skype ID etc, and for Greeting URL, get the URL of the message you posted to
      > this YGroup to introduce yourself. For example, Bindu's msg is at this URL:
      >
      > All info here is optional. Don't worry if you don't have or don't wish to
      > divulge (this is public info)
      >
      > But in this way we'll have a central place where we can see who's here and
      > learn something about them without having to mess with tables in a wiki.
      >
      > Try it and see if you like it :-)
      >
      > Vance

    • Vance Stevens
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
        Hi

        The Participants wiki is here http://tinyurl.com/evomlit2010participants

        I was going to tell you later but since you asked, here's how to put a
        picture at that wiki.

        Join the Ning at http://multiliteracies.ning.com/ and upload a picture to
        your profile.

        (1) Right click on the THUMBnail (not on your big picture, but any thumbnail
        associated with any event you might have).
        (2) From the menu select Copy Image Location (different from browser to
        browser, but you can test it by pasting the result to a browser; if your pic
        appears you've got it).
        (3) In the Google Docs spreadsheet choose Insert / Image, and paste the
        thumbnail link address in the space for the URL
        (4) Move the picture to the Pictures column and leave it there

        Unfortunately I can't find a way to get the picture into a cell. If you
        crack that one let us know :-)

        Vance

        On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

        > Hi Vance,
        > I like the Google doc idea! But I can't figure out how you added your
        > photo. When I copy a photo and click on Paste in the cell, nothing happens.
        > Help!
        >

        > Note to participants: If you are having trouble accessing the Google doc,
        > it's because there is a stray period at the end of Vance's link. Instead of
        > clicking on the link, right-click on it and select "Copy link address." Then
        > paste that into your address bar, delete the period, and hit Enter.
        > For those using Macs, I am sorry but I can't help you.
        > Cheers,
        > Nina

      • Vance Stevens