Introduction: Dennis Oliver

  • Dennis Oliver
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hi, everyone.

      I'm Dennis Oliver. I was an ESL and Developmental English teacher for
      many years; most of my work was with teenagers, young adults, and
      adults in both private and public institutions. I also worked as an
      ESL/EFL textbook editor and writer and, briefly, as an administrator.

      I'm far from being a digital native, but I've worked with computers
      for almost 25 years, and I began creating Web-based materials in 1995.
      Some of those materials are still online.

      I'm originally from the U.S. state of Illinois, but I haven't lived
      there for many, many years. Instead, I lived and worked in Oklahoma,
      Texas, California, and Oregon before moving to Phoenix a little more
      than 18 years ago. I haven't lived or taught outside the U.S., but
      I've traveled to some very interesting places--among them, China.

      I'm in this seminar to learn, and I fully expect to "stretch my brain"!

      Here are more particulars about me:

      names: Dennis / Dennis in Phoenix
      location: Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
      gender: M
      time zone: GMT -7 (year-round)
      IDs: Yahoo doliver_phoenix; Skype dennis-oliver

      That's enough for now, I think.

      I look forward to reading--and reponding to--an introduction from each
      of you. Just do the following:

      1. Hit Start Topic.
      2. Type Introduction: your name.
      3. Write enough to let each of us know a bit about you!

      Best wishes--

      Dennis in Phoenix
    • lmtreangen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        Hi, My name is Lynn Treangen and I'm the ESL Consultant for the non-
        credit ESL program at a community college in Iowa, USA. I also teach
        a credit listening and conversation class. I was born and raised in
        the midwest USA but have traveled in Europe and Asia. The new
        communication tools online are tools I want to learn about and be
        able to use in my practice. This makes me a perpetual student as the
        Web continues to invent and change; I don't want to be left in the
        dust. This promises to be an interesting discussion and opportunity
        for professional growth.

        --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Oliver" <dennis.oliver@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, everyone.
        >
        > I'm Dennis Oliver. I was an ESL and Developmental English teacher
        for
        > many years; most of my work was with teenagers, young adults, and
        > adults in both private and public institutions. I also worked as an
        > ESL/EFL textbook editor and writer and, briefly, as an
        administrator.

        > I'm far from being a digital native, but I've worked with computers
        > for almost 25 years, and I began creating Web-based materials in
        1995.
        > Some of those materials are still online.
        >
        > I'm originally from the U.S. state of Illinois, but I haven't lived
        > there for many, many years. Instead, I lived and worked in Oklahoma,
        > Texas, California, and Oregon before moving to Phoenix a little more
        > than 18 years ago. I haven't lived or taught outside the U.S., but
        > I've traveled to some very interesting places--among them, China.
        >
        > I'm in this seminar to learn, and I fully expect to "stretch my
        brain"!

        > Here are more particulars about me:
        >
        > names: Dennis / Dennis in Phoenix
        > location: Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
        > gender: M
        > time zone: GMT -7 (year-round)
        > IDs: Yahoo doliver_phoenix; Skype dennis-oliver

        > That's enough for now, I think.
        >
        > I look forward to reading--and reponding to--an introduction from
        each
        > of you. Just do the following:
        >
        > 1. Hit Start Topic.
        > 2. Type Introduction: your name.
        > 3. Write enough to let each of us know a bit about you!
        >
        > Best wishes--
        >
        > Dennis in Phoenix

      • raul
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009
          Hi, my name is Raul Casado from Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain. We are far from the Greenwich Meridian, but we still share the same time zone with the British, so we are GMT, too.
          I've been working mainly as a ELE teacher (Spanish as Foreign Language), but since two years ago I work also as a ESL teacher in a High School.
          I'm looking forward to learning more about the use of the Internet tools and possibilities.

        • Dennis Oliver
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009
            Hola, Raúl. Welcome to Multiliteracies 2009!

            -----> It's fascinating that even time zones can be political!

            I've been working mainly as a ELE teacher (Spanish as Foreign
            Language), but since two years ago I work also as a ESL teacher in a
            High School.

            -----> I think ELE and ESL/EFL go together very well. Pedagogically,
            they both follow the same principles; the only significant
            differences, it seems to me, are the target languages (and cultures).

            I'm looking forward to learning more about the use of the Internet
            tools and possibilities.

            -----> You'll have plenty of opportunities to learn as much as you
            want during this seminar. The participants will bring a wide variety
            of backgrounds, experience, and skills, as will the moderators, and I
            think we'll all learn a lot together.

            By the way, can you also send your IDs for the communications venues
            (Yahoo, MSN, Skype, Twitter, etc.) that you normally use?

            Welcome aboard!

            Dennis in Phoenix