Re: Sarah Sahr Intro!

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
      Hi Vance,

      Currently I am taking PP104 with Dafne and Teresa. They have the same kind of set up with PBworks. I think you are "webheads" together? Anyway, we get our assignments from PBworks and then have our discussions on the D2L site. It's a nice blend of both worlds. If you want, I'll ask if you can see their PB page...?

      Besides that, I've taken PP100, 103, 104, 105, and 107. PP200 will finish up the 6 classes needed for the Principles and Practices certificate.

      peace-

      --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn V" <vancestev@...> wrote:

      > Nice to see ALL of your here. I wonder if you'd clue me in either here or in a blog post what other courses you've been taking, gosh FIVE already with PPOT and the third one together. I've picked up from my students when I've taught these courses in the past that they have frequently been together before. Anyway, I'm curious how this course fits in from your perspective.
      >
      > I think PPOT ought to encourage its instructors to take each other's courses (by offering them places in the courses for free -- maybe I should suggest that :-). Because I'm totally in the dark. I have NO idea what's going on in the other courses. And I doubt that other instructors in the program are aware of what's happening in this one, although this one you can at least SEE without a D2L login. Still, there is too little cross fertilization IMHO.
      >
      > So any feedback appreciated,
      >
      > Vance
      >

      > --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "MARIA LAURA" <mld1935@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Sarah !!
      > > Nice to see you here ! I think this is our third course together.
      > > See you
      > > M.Laura
      > >
      > > --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <sarahsahr@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Greetings! My name is Sarah Sahr and I live in Washington DC, the city. This is my fifth class with Principles & Practices and I have enjoyed each one. I have a BS in Communications/Theatre Arts and my MA is in ESOL: Leadership in Teaching. I have a Maryland teaching certificate grades 8-12 in English and ESL. However, I have been out of the classroom for a quite some time.
      > > >
      > > > Right out of undergrad, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer, teaching English grades 10 & 11 in Ethiopia. When I returned home, I joined Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Baily Circus as their travelling school teacher, where I met my husband. The last 5 years of my life, Matt and I have been living overseas. I have managed a school in Vietnam, trained teachers in South Korea and implemented school reform in Qatar. Most recently, we've returned from Ecuador were we managed an eco-lodge as a kind of "mid-career retirement." Needless to say, we love to live/experience in different cultures. (We are still trying to figure out why we are back in the States.)
      > > >
      > > > Can't wait to meet you all! peace-

    • Vance Stevens
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2010
        Thanks for the information. I know Dafne and Teresa well and their online
        teaching/learning philosophy echoes mine. Isn't their pbworks site viewable
        from anywhere? (like if you posted its URL)? You are welcome to give them
        ours. I encourage others in our respective PLNs to join us so that we can
        have a wider perspective, as is argued in the title of this article, Online,
        Bigger Classes May Be Better Classes, Experimenters say diversity means
        richness: http://chronicle.com/article/Open-Teaching-When-the/124170/

        What do you think about D2L as a discussion forum as opposed to YGroups /
        Grouply? I used it the first time I taught this course and liked it as a
        discussion forum. It was threaded and easy to follow. However, it all
        disappeared at the end of the course. Each of your YGroup postings has its
        own URL and you can follow this list in your feed reader if you want, it
        has an RSS feed. To achieve this messages must be made public. If you feel
        that your work here should be off record and impermanent, then D2L fits that
        bill. If you would like to keep and refer to the record even years later
        (and see what others have posted before you) then the YGroup has obvious
        advantages.

        Personally I like the network aspect. We haven't seen people from previous
        courses post here yet, but I'm sure they are lurking. We've had a number of
        people not enrolled in the TESOL course join both our YGroup and Ning just
        before the course started, so again I like the public aspect and the
        potential for wider perspective. All are welcome to contribute
        constructively.

        What do you think?

        Vance

        --