Re: life after Ning, and other options

  • Glenn V
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2010
      --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "mariel" <mamez@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Vance, and everyone.
      >
      > This message is long overdue. I should start by thanking Vance for thanking me in a previous message (I'm not sure what there was to thank exactly), and I should continue by thanking Vance again for mentioning me here again (completely undeserved).

      Hi,

      I don't think mention of Mariel's work is undeserved. We're all moving to come up with solutions to Ning's pulling the rug on its free Nings.

      A complication in my work has appeared in the existence of http://multilit.grouply.com/ which, I knew at one time but it looks like I forgot, is channeling mail from this Yahoo Group; e.g. messages like this one.

      I can't recall how this group started. When I wanted to import our Ning to Grouply I found I couldn't do that because I had no Manage tab at http://multilit.grouply.com/. Therefore, in order to grab the Ning while I could, I created http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/ and imported our Ning there.

      I posted a message there and at http://multiliteracies.ning.com explaining what I had done. If you are a member of the Ning you might have received a mail to that effect and if your profile ported over to http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/ then you might have received a mail from that group as well. But I didn't get these messages, so maybe not.

      You can see this message at http://multilit.grouply.com/ because I'm sending it via the YahooGroup and it should therefore end up at the multilit Grouply.

      Like Mariel, I am documenting (keeping track) of what I'm doing here:
      http://tinyurl.com/ningthing

      Here's what it looks like at this point:

      * Multiliteracies
      evo2010mlit 123members
      o http://multiliteracies.ning.com
      Applied for sponsorship by Pearson, awaiting approval (awaiting their response, no response as of 10 July 2010)
      o Requested backup from Save My Ning on June 30, 2010
      (awaiting their response, no response as of 10 July 2010)
      o Migrated Blogs to Posterous: http://multiliteracies.posterous.com
      + Nina Liakos ported her own blog postings from Ning to Posterous
      http://ninaevomlit2010.posterous.com/
      + Marial Amez: http://literaturettc.posterous.com/
      o Migrated the 2010 Multiliteracies Ning to Grouply: http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/
      o There is also a http://multilit.grouply.com/ group from the 2009 EVO session but Vance is not an administrator here under the Grouply profile I'm using currently and can't manage this group (e.g. import Ning to it)
      + Mariel Amez: http://lit2009.grouply.com/
      o Set up: http://multilit.spruz.com/ (no automatic import of membership)
      o Used Ning Archive feature to retain archives of following JSON files
      + I got several files containing all but media content
      # members 2147 media files NOT downloaded
      # blogs 4 media files NOT downloaded
      # discussions 3 media files NOT downloaded
      # events 16 media files NOT downloaded
      # groups 2 media files NOT downloaded
      # music
      # pages
      # notes
      # photos 76 media files NOT downloaded
      # videos 2 media files NOT downloaded
      + I decided not to download apprx. 2200 media files to my computer
      (members please take individual responsibility for this)
      + I created a Facebook Group called Multiliteracies for Social Networking & Collaborative Learning Environments (please join it ;-)
    • Mariel Amez
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2010
        Hi, Vance, again.

        A couple of things. The blog http://literaturettc.posterous.com/ is the import of the work done by my sts in 2009. It's public, but you won't see the names of original posters, though they do appear in comments. I'm also in the process of uploading the videos created by the sts. Anyone can take a look, to see how it works, but it is not related to our work together.

        I have added my posterous import of Ning to http://marielmultilit.posterous.com

        I have noticed that the Ning groups (where there were some discussions) have not been migrated to Grouply. I'm not sure if this was a conscious decision or an omission, but even though group members are not ported, the discussions do look well.

        Anyway, if we are to believe the Ning people (would that be wise?) they have promised nothing will be removed until August 20th, which means we have a little more leeway.

        Warm regards,

        Prof. Mariel R. Amez
        Rosario
        mailto:mamez@...

        P Please consider the planet before printing this email.
        Antes de imprimir, piensa en el medio ambiente.

      • Vance Stevens
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2010
          Hi again,

          I finally got into the http://multilit.grouply.com/ as a manager and found the Ning import tool
          under the MANAGE tag

          When I click it, it says ...

          To migrate your Ning Network to Grouply, first create a new social group. Then from within that
          group's site, select "Management Menu" from under the Manage tab, then click the "Migrate from Ning"
          icon.

          So it appears that in order to migrate a Ning, it has to be to a new group. Therefore we were
          correct to migrate the ning to http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/ and leave the existing group
          http://multilit.grouply.com/ alone.

          So we'll have to live with the two groups, this one
          http://multilit.grouply.com/ - containing our Multilit YGroup traffic since 2009, and
          http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/, which is migrated from the Ning, EVOmlit 2010

          It's been an experience!

          Vance

          ===
          Posted through Grouply
          Create your own group!
          www.grouply.com

        • Jennifer Verschoor
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2010
            Dear Vance,

            You have been working hard!!!! I tried grouply and didn´t like because as
            you said it channels the mails from the Multititeracies Yahoo Group and all
            your other Yahoo Groups.

            Personally I find http://grou.ps/ to be the best alternative to all the
            different Nings I have.

            Let me know if you try this new tool.

            Warm regards
            Jennifer

          • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2010
              Hi,

              I did consider grou.ps and also took into consideration their pricing plan
              http://grou.ps/groudotps/wiki/item/251914

              I don't know where we'd reach that 10 gb of storage and 100 gb of data transfer but the way people upload media in these groups, I prefer something where we don't have to count what's there.

              For personal sites, I don't mind paying for value once you see you need it.  For example, Podomatic and Flickr work this way, there's a free tier and once you reach its limit (you must use the service a lot) you pay for more features and capacity (by then you've seen it's worth it to you).

              But for purely social sites, not connected with a revenue stream, it's harder to judge how to handle the funding.  So this is why I just avoid the issue, plus I want to learn more about the free options for those cases.