Re: life after Ning, and other options

  • mariel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2010
      Hi, Vance, and everyone.

      This message is long overdue. I should start by thanking Vance for thanking me in a previous message (I'm not sure what there was to thank exactly), and I should continue by thanking Vance again for mentioning me here again (completely undeserved).

      I have read The Ning Thing article published by Vance in TESL-EJ http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume14/ej53/ej53int/ as well as the work-in-progress G-doc. Extremely conscientious coverage of the issue, as usual. Thanks! I have also bookmarked to Multilit Diigo one of the sources mentioned there http://www.masternewmedia.org/ning-alternatives-guide-to-the-best-social-networking-platforms-and-online-group-services/

      I had mentioned some experimentation carried out so far in my reply to the Ning discussion http://tinyurl.com/lclg
      . After reading the documents mentioned, I did manage (after a couple of unsuccessful attempts) to migrate all blogposts to Posterous http://literaturettc.posterous.com/.

      Earlier today I opened a Grouply account.

      You can check it out here: http://lit2009.grouply.com/
      The username for it is studentliterature@... and the password is litstudent.

      The good news is that in a few minutes it migrated all Ning members and their info (55 people), subgroups (and their content, though not which members were members of the subgroup)and photos and albums(including original dates, who had uploaded them and the comments made on them). See the summary:

      Subgroup Forums
      66 messages imported
      4 subgroups found

      Photos
      11 albums imported
      80 photos imported

      Members
      54 members imported
      1 were already members

      A couple of features to highlight is that by default all members are notified of any new posts by email (sth my sts always asked for in ning)and the ability to see each page as visitor, as member, as owner very easily (even members can check how their info is viewed by friends, etc).

      Something to bear in mind is that even though your members are imported they should create a Grouply identity before accessing the network (instead of asking for a password reset, which I foolishly did at first, to no avail). Another feature to handle with care in the classroom is the "unified identity" that Grouply promotes as a plus (true, it was stimes a drag to log into several Ning networks) and the fact that you are taken "out" of your network without warning, and all your "groups" and other "suggested" groups become available. In fact on signing up I already had friendship requests from strangers.

      Video embeds are allowed, but not uploads, unless you handle them as documents (under 10 Mb). In order to comment, you have to refer to the "original message" rather than the video itself.

      Apparently 3 new tabs are available for non-premium members, which I had used up, also apparently, I presume when importing the subgroups. Existing tabs can't have their URLs edited.

      The absence of a specific blogging feature (promised for the near future in the Ning migration tool) is probably the greatest weakness. For the purposes of preserving this Ning's content, I used the only RSS feed box available from the home page to link to Posterous. Other applications such as Text or Html boxes seem to be restricted to one as well.

      Some applications for the Home page such as a tag cloud are announced as premium features, though I was able to add it, I expect during some trial period.

      A minor detail is that from one computer I was unable to edit tags, and from another I was unable to access "messages" once I had tried to edit them, but i attribute that to my IE7, or its settings. let's see if it improves tomorrow.

      On the whole, esp. if Grouply can come up with a blogging feature, I consider it a good migration option for Ning. As for setting up a brand new network, I believe at present mixxt has more going for it, though I would need to review it further.

      I look forward to your comments on this and other alternatives to Ning.

      Warm regards

      Mariel Amez

      --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn V" <vstevens@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > You can see how that new distribution resembles a 'tail' here:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail
      >
      > My article The Ning Thing was published at the end of the month and you can see the link to the fixed version at http://tinyurl.com/ningthing. But at the NingThing link you can see where I continue to dabble as new information comes in.
      >
      > Mariel Amez sent me a link via Twitter of Kevin Hodgeson's take on Pearson sponsorship of Nings. In her original msg in THIS thread she asked if anyone had used Ning's archiving tool. When visiting Kevin's Meandering Mind I saw that he has tried out this tool and placed complete instructions with screenshots here:
      > http://dogtrax.edublogs.org/2010/07/03/how-to-archive-a-ning-site/
      >
      > I'm writing what I have been doing about saving our Ning at the bottom of the NingThing link. Here's what I've done for the * Multiliteracies Ning at http://multiliteracies.ning.com
      >
      > It has only 123 members so I applied for sponsorship by Pearson at the end of June, but so far haven't heard from them apart from an email saying they were ruminating on my request.
      >
      > I requested backup from Save My Ning on June 30, 2010 (and am also awaiting their response)
      >
      > This turned out to be worth doing: I migrated all our Blogs to Posterous: http://multiliteracies.posterous.com This has successfully preserved our blog posts, but in this particular blog, the original poster is not identified (it appears to be me). But on the upside, each posting now has a URL that will stay where it is a while longer.
      >
      > You can also get just your posts into a Posterous account. To do this you start an account (or log on to one), download your postings from Ning, and then merge them into an existing blog (I created http://multiliteracies.posterous.com for that purpose).
      >
      > Nina Liakos ported just her own blog postings from Ning to Posterous in this way, http://ninaevomlit2010.posterous.com/
      >
      > Incidentally I note that Mariel is from Rosario. I hope to be in Buenos Aires on around July 12. I think Webheads are meeting there on July 14. On July 16 I fly to Sao Paulo for BrazTESOL and go to Brasilia a week later, and I will be in that country for a few weeks. On Aug 9 I return to Buenos Aires and again have a couple weeks of free time. If anyone in Brazil or Argentina would like to meet up, let me know. I like having excuses to travel around.
      >
      > Vance
      >

      > > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Vance Stevens <vstevens@>wrote:
      > >

      > > > Hi folks,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks Mariel for writing this list.
      > > >
      > > > I've finally managed to squeeze out some time between a busy end of
      > > > September and a deadline at the end of this month and I'm working now on
      > > > http://tinyurl.com/ningthing
      > > >
      > > > If you'd like to write on this document just let me know and > >

    • Glenn V
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2010
        --- In multilit@yahoogroups.com, "mariel" <mamez@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Vance, and everyone.
        >
        > This message is long overdue. I should start by thanking Vance for thanking me in a previous message (I'm not sure what there was to thank exactly), and I should continue by thanking Vance again for mentioning me here again (completely undeserved).

        Hi,

        I don't think mention of Mariel's work is undeserved. We're all moving to come up with solutions to Ning's pulling the rug on its free Nings.

        A complication in my work has appeared in the existence of http://multilit.grouply.com/ which, I knew at one time but it looks like I forgot, is channeling mail from this Yahoo Group; e.g. messages like this one.

        I can't recall how this group started. When I wanted to import our Ning to Grouply I found I couldn't do that because I had no Manage tab at http://multilit.grouply.com/. Therefore, in order to grab the Ning while I could, I created http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/ and imported our Ning there.

        I posted a message there and at http://multiliteracies.ning.com explaining what I had done. If you are a member of the Ning you might have received a mail to that effect and if your profile ported over to http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/ then you might have received a mail from that group as well. But I didn't get these messages, so maybe not.

        You can see this message at http://multilit.grouply.com/ because I'm sending it via the YahooGroup and it should therefore end up at the multilit Grouply.

        Like Mariel, I am documenting (keeping track) of what I'm doing here:
        http://tinyurl.com/ningthing

        Here's what it looks like at this point:

        * Multiliteracies
        evo2010mlit 123members
        o http://multiliteracies.ning.com
        Applied for sponsorship by Pearson, awaiting approval (awaiting their response, no response as of 10 July 2010)
        o Requested backup from Save My Ning on June 30, 2010
        (awaiting their response, no response as of 10 July 2010)
        o Migrated Blogs to Posterous: http://multiliteracies.posterous.com
        + Nina Liakos ported her own blog postings from Ning to Posterous
        http://ninaevomlit2010.posterous.com/
        + Marial Amez: http://literaturettc.posterous.com/
        o Migrated the 2010 Multiliteracies Ning to Grouply: http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/
        o There is also a http://multilit.grouply.com/ group from the 2009 EVO session but Vance is not an administrator here under the Grouply profile I'm using currently and can't manage this group (e.g. import Ning to it)
        + Mariel Amez: http://lit2009.grouply.com/
        o Set up: http://multilit.spruz.com/ (no automatic import of membership)
        o Used Ning Archive feature to retain archives of following JSON files
        + I got several files containing all but media content
        # members 2147 media files NOT downloaded
        # blogs 4 media files NOT downloaded
        # discussions 3 media files NOT downloaded
        # events 16 media files NOT downloaded
        # groups 2 media files NOT downloaded
        # music
        # pages
        # notes
        # photos 76 media files NOT downloaded
        # videos 2 media files NOT downloaded
        + I decided not to download apprx. 2200 media files to my computer
        (members please take individual responsibility for this)
        + I created a Facebook Group called Multiliteracies for Social Networking & Collaborative Learning Environments (please join it ;-)
      • Mariel Amez
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10, 2010
          Hi, Vance, again.

          A couple of things. The blog http://literaturettc.posterous.com/ is the import of the work done by my sts in 2009. It's public, but you won't see the names of original posters, though they do appear in comments. I'm also in the process of uploading the videos created by the sts. Anyone can take a look, to see how it works, but it is not related to our work together.

          I have added my posterous import of Ning to http://marielmultilit.posterous.com

          I have noticed that the Ning groups (where there were some discussions) have not been migrated to Grouply. I'm not sure if this was a conscious decision or an omission, but even though group members are not ported, the discussions do look well.

          Anyway, if we are to believe the Ning people (would that be wise?) they have promised nothing will be removed until August 20th, which means we have a little more leeway.

          Warm regards,

          Prof. Mariel R. Amez
          Rosario
          mailto:mamez@...

          P Please consider the planet before printing this email.
          Antes de imprimir, piensa en el medio ambiente.

        • Vance Stevens
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10, 2010
            Hi again,

            I finally got into the http://multilit.grouply.com/ as a manager and found the Ning import tool
            under the MANAGE tag

            When I click it, it says ...

            To migrate your Ning Network to Grouply, first create a new social group. Then from within that
            group's site, select "Management Menu" from under the Manage tab, then click the "Migrate from Ning"
            icon.

            So it appears that in order to migrate a Ning, it has to be to a new group. Therefore we were
            correct to migrate the ning to http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/ and leave the existing group
            http://multilit.grouply.com/ alone.

            So we'll have to live with the two groups, this one
            http://multilit.grouply.com/ - containing our Multilit YGroup traffic since 2009, and
            http://multiliteracies.grouply.com/, which is migrated from the Ning, EVOmlit 2010

            It's been an experience!

            Vance

            ===
            Posted through Grouply
            Create your own group!
            www.grouply.com

          • Jennifer Verschoor
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 11, 2010
              Dear Vance,

              You have been working hard!!!! I tried grouply and didn´t like because as
              you said it channels the mails from the Multititeracies Yahoo Group and all
              your other Yahoo Groups.

              Personally I find http://grou.ps/ to be the best alternative to all the
              different Nings I have.

              Let me know if you try this new tool.

              Warm regards
              Jennifer

            • GLENN VANCE STEVENS
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11, 2010
                Hi,

                I did consider grou.ps and also took into consideration their pricing plan
                http://grou.ps/groudotps/wiki/item/251914

                I don't know where we'd reach that 10 gb of storage and 100 gb of data transfer but the way people upload media in these groups, I prefer something where we don't have to count what's there.

                For personal sites, I don't mind paying for value once you see you need it.  For example, Podomatic and Flickr work this way, there's a free tier and once you reach its limit (you must use the service a lot) you pay for more features and capacity (by then you've seen it's worth it to you).

                But for purely social sites, not connected with a revenue stream, it's harder to judge how to handle the funding.  So this is why I just avoid the issue, plus I want to learn more about the free options for those cases.