RFE/RL: COURT UPHOLDS BAN ON HEADSCARVES IN DOCUMENT PHOTOS

  • sbokulic
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2002
      RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 6, No. 160, Part I, 26 August 2002

      COURT UPHOLDS BAN ON HEADSCARVES IN DOCUMENT PHOTOS. The Supreme
      Court of Tatarstan on 26 August upheld a Kazan court ruling that
      rejected a complaint by local women who sought the right to be
      photographed for their passports wearing traditional Muslim
      headscarves (see "RFE/RL Newsline," 2 and 5 August 2002), Interfax
      reported. According to the report, the plaintiffs intend to appeal to
      the federal courts and to write letters to Tatarstan President
      Mintimer Shaimiev and presidential envoy to the Volga Federal
      District Sergei Kirienko. RC