902AI 2013: Doctoral Consortium - Final Call for Participation (Deadline: September 2nd, 2013)
- Aug 29, 2013[Apologies for cross-posting]
In 2013, the Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (http://ai2013.otago.ac.nz/) will introduce a doctoral mentoring consortium, intended for PhD students in advanced stages of their research. The aim is to provide an opportunity for students to interact closely with established researchers in their fields, to receive feedback on their work and to get advice on managing their careers.
Specifically, the goals of the program are:
* To match each student with an established researcher in the community (who will act as a mentor). The mentor will interact closely with the student, will provide feedback on research, help form new contacts, etc.
* To allow students an opportunity to present their work to a friendly audience of other students as well as mentors.
* To provide students with insights, contact and opportunities for their future career.
* To foster interactions with mentors and other mentees.
In order to participate in the doctoral consortium, students are requested to submit 2 documents.
(1) a 4 page abstract (using the same AI 2013 paper submission format) describing their research.
(2) a separate document (maximum two pages) containing the following information:
1 Country of study
2 Area of study (1-3 keywords)
3 Expected time until graduation
4 A brief CV
5 A signed letter of support from their advisor.
These documents should be submitted electronically via Easychair: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ai2013dc. In this submission system, please submit your two-page abstract under "Paper" and the other document as a single PDF under "Attachment".
Successful applicants will be required to give a 3 minute thesis style presentation and present a poster where questions from other participants may be discussed. There will be a $50 iTunes voucher for the best 3 minute presentation as judged by the audience. Follow this link for more on the 3 minute thesis - http://www.uq.edu.au/grad-school/three-minute-thesis
Submissions due: September 2
Acceptance Notification: October 14
Date of consortium: December 2
Chair - Dr. John Thangarajah, RMIT University, johnt@...