Re: Rajshahi University Students Impolite Comments

  • Tistarbahe
    Message 1 of 177 , Sep 2, 2006

      Learning about Hasan Azizul Huq's wonderful brave comments is
      refreshing and heart-warming for millions bengalees who aspire to
      move to the new phase of human civilization. It ignites hope in me!
      It inspires me! It sings in me ..I will come back again to the banks
      of Dhansiri in this bengal.

      I love you Hasan Azizul Huq.

      tistarbahe
    • Syed M. Islam
      Message 177 of 177 , Sep 4, 2006

        "Mr Matiur Rahman" wrote: [in red and within > <]

        >The quesitons are legitimate, however, they're not really very relevant for believers.<

        According to a latter section of your above post, #36053, it seems you prefer 'confirmed' over 'controversial' knowledge, to measure the clarity of intention behind Professor Crone's essay. I am curious why your preferences seem to have flip-flopped in the above statement: Unless you can show us you were the chosen spokeperson for at least the majority of the diverse groups of global Muslims, if not for all of them, by virtue of reason it seems your opinion is not confirmed but, most likely, controversial.  So long as Muslim faithful can decide on their own what is 'relevant' in order for their faith-rainbow to remain sparklingly colorful, I do not think you can shoot such a grandiose assertion on their behalf.

        >Since 9/11 the west is directly and indirectly launched myriads of programmes for undermining Islam. From Amercian invasion of Iraq to the Danish cartoon saga, all are linked in the attmpet to demean Islam, the Quran and the prophet os Islam.<

        How 'confirmed' is this assertion, may I ask?  Unless you believe your omnipresence is equal to its alleged capability of Allah in this regard, or unless you hold information/evidence to 'confirm' this, (evidence) it might have been prudent to avoid making the assertion.  Besides, this declaration hardly accords legitimacy to any suspicion that you may have raised against Professor Crone's essay.

        >I wonder why Professor Crone wants to know about Muhammad (PBUH). I am also curious if she herself has carried out any basic research in her quest for knowledge. Her intentions are not very clear because she has focused mainly on the controversial issues ignoring the confirmed knowledge.<

        Why the professor wants to know about Muhammad can be speculated, but doing so hardly tarnishes the questions whose legitimacy you confirmed in your opening statement. Have you any confirmed logic, due to which you concluded her intentions were unclear simply because she focused on 'controversial' issues about Muhammad?  In addition and as a likely point of logic:  If indeed there was 'confirmed knowledge' about Muhammad what reason in your best estimate might there be, to focus on those for additional inquiry/discussion?  For repeat confirmation? If someone seeks clarification on any issues pertaining to Muhammad by raising them would be seem reasonable to select the 'confirmed knowledge' items, or should she begin with the 'controversial issues'?

        I would hasten to add : such an essay is enough to confuse an ordinary Muslim for whome the Quran and Hadith are the pricipal sources of knowledge. These days, scholars tend to focus on controversial issues. It is easier to make a catch in muddy water, isn't it?<

        Once again, it seems you perferred 'controversial', grandiose assertion over 'confirmed knowledge' in contrast with your inferred preference for Professor Crone, although your preference for her seems to have missed the logic in the context of her essay [seeking clarification on 'controversial' issues].  Once again you spoke on behalf of 'ordinary Muslims,' although you may not be able to establish any 'legitimacy' for such pronouncement!

        Besides, have you any doubt it is not confusing to begin with, if indeed an ordinary Muslim considers the Quran and aHadith as principal sources of knowledge?  Knowledge of what, may I ask, seeking clarification because, as stated by you, the scope of the phrase 'principal sources' seems unclear.  For, after all, many 'ordinary Muslims' seem unwilling to confine themselves to these primary sources of 'knowledge' but, rather comically in a way, devour 'secular' education both in their home countries as well as in the West in order to earn a living.  These 'principal sources' proved insufficient for them to earn a living.  In fact, knowledge of medical science, technology, and computers, none of which can be legitimately shown as derivatives off either the Quran or the aHadith, many ordinary Muslims are unhesitant to acquire.  In reality ordinary Muslims may also seek medical treatment for a sick/dying relative first before resorting to prayer, likely 'cause the latter's ineffectiveness may be quite clear. A case in point is the recent global vigil for Arafat, despite which the man died.

        I hope you can see the issue with your unclarity, as to what type of 'knowledge' for which these books may be primary resource.

        Mr. Rahman, do you realize your inference of 'muddy water' versus 'clear water' may be a black-and-white bifurcation with which many ordinary Muslims may not agree, let alone non-Muslims?  While literally it may be true that making a catch in muddy waters is easier, that analogy hardly justifies your fallacy of circulus in demonstrando.  Clearly put, you are presupposing scholars focus on 'controversial' issues for no other reason than to demean Islam; hence you invent an argument just so you could back into the presupposition with "It is easier to make a catch in muddy water, isn't it?

        Lastly, and also based on your admission Professor Crone's questions were legitimate, one can show with little unclarity that your overall commentary smelt of a fallacy of red herring: it is committed when someone introduces irrelevant material "to the issue being discussed, so that everyone's attention is diverted away from the points made, towards a different conclusion."  If an ordinary Muslim should have the freedom to prefer reason over blind faith when judging the essay, one could only hope he or she would be less confused by it than the provable (clear) confusion your errant commentary about it just might be turbid enough to engender.

        Regards,

        Syed M. Islam