Bomb Blast - Tomorrow is only the yesterday of the day before

  • Mac
    Message 1 of 77 , Aug 26, 2004
      [The question that thus bedevils us is how on God's earth is "Hikmatul
      Jihad" more "convincing and credible" as perpetrators of the bomb
      attack, yet the so called al-Qaeda phone call that resulted in the
      evacuation of the Sena Kalyan Bhaban in Motijheel on 15th of August is
      NOT? Have we have allowed ourselves to be deluded by the fact that a
      building full of innocent people are expendable - while the Leader of
      the Opposition is not? That Ivy Rahman deserves a "state" burial only
      because she was a politician and the rest 23 "odd" do not because
      things would not cool down or "simmer out" otherwise?]

      Re-Axe to New Age Editorial 26/08/2004

      Dear Editor,

      My attention has been drawn to your Editorial of Thursday the 26th
      August 2004. [http://newagebd.com/edit.html#1%5d

      Titled "Let foreign intelligence come in", the piece appears to be in
      direct contradiction to the "Daring and Dynamic" stance of New Age to
      provide us a direction that is most wanting in other publications.

      This is entirely my personal opinion, but the bomb attack on the Awami
      League rally on the 21st of August instance was sorely "predictable"
      only that this time, rightly or wrongly there was a twist attached for
      it came pretty close to annihilating those that have made tragic
      incidences of the past, matters of brutal catechism of playing to
      periphery of the "agency gallery" -- to further their limited and
      myopic political agenda.

      It is albeit time for those that have played with fire for this long,
      to rethink the possibility of getting burnt; of those crying wolf, to
      be wary that they are about to be devoured from head to the tail, if
      serious, no-nonsense steps are not taken immediately. The shock and
      revulsion this time around is only because politicians, specially our
      "leaders" find themselves vulnerable, caught on the wrong foot of a
      game they thought they had "perfected" and the new "experience" would
      hopefully tilt the ante in the days ahead, unless we are going to be
      proven wrong again.

      Those wrongs are perpetrated innocently and innocuously through the
      treatment of "news". For instance this time around, a suspect email to
      a Bengalee newspaper - entails huge publicity, without even verifying
      (when technologies exist and just about anybody with a bit of cyber
      talent can track them down) its source.

      The hoaxes who sent it out from some cyber café for all practical
      purpose, were perhaps as blissfully surprised as we are, as how
      "Hikmatul Jihad" could in such a short span of time earn international
      (notoriety) recognition! Google search "Hikmatul Jihad" on the
      Internet and one will not fail to discover only one Bangladeshi
      newspaper (the English version of the Bengalee daily which circulated
      the original news) archived, the rest six are ofcourse Indian. The
      list will grow menacingly within the next 72 hours and don't be too
      surprised if "links" to al-Qaeda are also inferred.

      The question that thus bedevils us is how on God's earth is "Hikmatul
      Jihad" more "convincing and credible" as perpetrators of the bomb
      attack, yet the so called al-Qaeda phone call that resulted in the
      evacuation of the Sena Kalyan Bhaban in Motijheel on 15th of August is
      NOT? Have we have allowed ourselves to be deluded by the fact that a
      building full of innocent people are expendable - while the Leader of
      the Opposition is not? That Ivy Rahman deserves a "state" burial only
      because she was a politician and the rest 23 "odd" do not because
      things would not cool down or "simmer out" otherwise?

      You talk about "Soliciting the services of Interpol, Scotland Yard or
      other foreign police and intelligence agencies", which only proves how
      foggy your memories have become over the years.

      What about the FBI team that arrived in Bangladesh for investigation
      and left Dhaka "without making any comments" after a "bomb" was
      discovered in Kotalipara, Gopalganj on 21st July 2000? Or more
      recently has the New Age bothered to find out what the Scotland Yard
      team that came in to investigate the Sylhet attack on the UK High
      Commissioner have successfully "dug up"?

      Your Editorial "Let foreign intelligence come in" therefore would have
      made a much better read if you had said "Welcome RAW, ISI and CIA for
      we have failed" - ofcourse that would go very much against the oft
      harped notion heralded by your Daily that Bangladesh is not a "failed
      state"?

      We also notice a strong tendency to benchmark bomb blast incidents as
      a phenomenon from 1996 onward; but is it really true?

      For unknown reasons, there seems to be a pathetic apathy at proper
      chronicling of bomb blast incidents, and if memory has not failed all
      of us, the first major bomb blasts on key point installations were
      reported in the fag end of the agitation's against the Ershadian
      autocracy in 1990.

      True we overthrew the dictator, true we ushered in our ramshackle
      "democracy", but let us not try to put a square peg into a round hole
      by saying those "acts of bravery" were needed only to end the military
      dictatorship, and assume that the bombers would retire into secluded
      hibernation afterwards as heroes?

      Those were acts of terrorism and any investigation today into any bomb
      blast incidents ought to first narrow down on the perpetrators of the
      bomb blasts of 1990 inside the Secretariat or the toilet of the Zia
      International Airport, and find out who financed those terrorists,
      what where the motivations and importantly the "foreign intelligence
      agencies" that made their jobs and getaway all that easy.

      Let us not also forget that circa 1990 the Awami League, BNP and
      Jammat-e-Islami were "allies"! Our tragic failure to trace out the
      bombers today indicates that they sit very, very close to the "powers
      that be", and it really doesn't matter if it is the Awami League or
      the BNP that is in power.

      The crux of the fluid situation today, is there will be further and
      more dangerous escalations so let us mentally prepare for bombs
      powerful enough to bring buildings down while we sit and sip our cups
      of tea, for cars to explode in busy traffic causing mayhem and much,
      much more.

      Events in the days ahead will certainly make us forget 1971 and a
      generation that has not seen the epochal year will only learn about
      the truths and half-truths being fed to them.

      The days of the bombers have arrived and they do not belong to any
      party or the people. They are "powerful" accomplices of "foreign
      intelligence agencies" - and the New Age Editorial "welcoming" their
      mentors and masters with such unrestrained aplomb is indicative, that
      not all is well in the health of the "status quo".

      We have decided to bask on our complacent invincibility as a nation
      and have thought all along that "such incidents" receives grudging
      acceptance over a period of time from the public at large, thanks
      again to the powerful status quo, which lurks in the background.
      Ironically the media in Bangladesh is very much a part of that status
      quo, and it is particularly hurtful for we have thought all along that
      New Age would have quite made a difference.

      Tomorrow is only the yesterday of the day before.

      Thanking you,

      Maqsoodul Haque (Mac)
      Adabor, Mohhamadpur,
      Dhaka

      The author is a Jazz Musician and Radical Columnist.
    • Jaffor Ullah
      Message 77 of 77 , Aug 26, 2004
        RE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mukto-mona/message/19143

        Jaffor Ullah responds to DesVerma

        As I said in my last response, not posted yet, that your idea of luring the informant with 1 crore Taka is a great idea - No questions asked. The grenade lobbers do not have to identify themselves. Any innocent by standard can witness grenade lobber�s heinous activities and also may know their identity, where they live, where they shop, etc. Yes, these extremists do not live in a vacuum. They are real and live like the average Bangladeshi. However, the biggest concern is who will mediate the informant reporting/reward setup? As I said that the Ameer of Jamaat is already in the cabinet with BNP and has enough muscle power to sway things happening by making telephone calls from his cabinet office. Say, once the informant comes forward and reports to the police, wouldn�t it seal the fate of the informant for good. The informant�s names, address, family information will immediately go to the fundamentalist extremist, which are present in Bangladesh. For an example, Bangla Bhai. Will
        there be a protective custody or �witness protection program�, to provide protection to the informant and his immediate family? That is what was missing from your proposal. You also stated Saddam and his sons. Well, the US and the coalition forces are in Iraq and they provided protection (similar to witness protection program in the US) to the informants. And that�s why the informants came forward and pointed to where Saddam or his sons were hidhng. To draw a parallel scenario in Bangladesh, there is no given guarantee that the informant will be protected. As Dr. Dasverma suggested that the British Government could take a part in this solution. Perhaps, they can provide some sort of witness protection scenario. Then again it depends on how deeply would the British Government wants to be involved in this issue.

        Thanks.