Fw: Quiz Man

  • Bijon B. Sarma
    Message 1 of 179 , Apr 24, 2004
      Dear Sir,
      Please consider the enclosed article for publication.
      Bijon B. Sarma

      There were ample reasons for the American citizens to feel proud for their country and civilization (no culture, because being immigrants from numerous regions they could not think of a definite culture for fear of anomalies and left the issue to 'destiny' where they expected the best to 'survive' and in reality the aggressive ones did) till September 9, 2001. They were taught to caste vote and to keep blind faith on the elected government for the term. They almost learnt to do that when 9/11 opened up their eyes.

      It was clear that the reason behind the most heinous attack of the world lied in the 'issue of religion'. But for unknown reason their government promised not to look at the issue of religion. Few years after the incident their government showed 'heroic achievements' by conquering Afghanistan and having first-hand victory in Iraq. But then situation changed. The tax payer's hard-earned money profusely flowed into the personal accounts of the weapon producers and that was the reason for lingering wars. The case of Vietnam war half-opened the eyes of the US citizens. The Iraq war opened the remaining half. In addition, the deaths of US sons in profuse number created dissatisfaction among the common people.

      And you all know what happened during the past two years, I mean from 2005 to 2007. Due to pressure of the citizens the government had to take this issue seriously. Even though the government, in the name of 'secularism' endeavored to put aside this issue, the common people did not fail to notice the qualitative difference between the people belonging to various religions. Naturally they held individual religion responsible for this difference.

      Finally, the "INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR THE EVALUATION OF RELIGIONS" sponsored by the United States of America was held in March, 2007. Anomalies and differences initiated from the very beginning because :
      (a) For a greater section of people religion is a good source of income and means of spreading influence.
      (b) Some believe their religion as 'divine' and beyond evaluation by human being.
      So, they disagreed to participate. By this time USA turned extremely powerful, because nuclear power were concentrated in the hands of this country and its few allies. When the aforesaid religious people came to realize the consequence of 'avoiding' the conference they had to agree.

      You all know what happened later. Representatives of as many as 105 religions gathered in the famous city. In the preliminary discussion some religions declared their, religion were divine. Some opined, their religion was formulated by intelligent men for the welfare of mankind. No one however told, religion was formulated with the objective of serving the interest of a few people, even though this one was the fact.

      Serious discussions started on the second day. The delegates sat around circular table with about 50 ft radius. At the centre there was a glass dome covering the religious books of the participating 105 religions. The dome was rotating at a gracious speed. The chairman said that no religion was 'divine' and by all means indestructible. There were vehement protests. The chairman smiled and said 'now you would see, no religion is divine, …'. He pressed a button, instantly flame appeared inside the dome and all the books were burnt to ashes. The delegates who had declared that their religions were man-made did not surprise at the incident. But those who believed in 'divinity' had their clothes wet.

      The delegates described the bright sides of their respective religions and the darker side of others. The religions whom they accused were given time to clear up their points. The chairman was serious in accepting only the logical and scientific reasoning, all others were expunged. Then he raised the question : "Whether the quality of a man, as reflected in his actions is influenced by the religion he follows". For some delegates it was an unpleasant issue, others however, enjoyed. There were hot and sour discussions. Finally they arrived at the decision that "Yes, men's qualities are greatly influenced by their religions. In case of religious conversion, a man accepts the religion that suits his nature".

      The religious books were read out and the delegates noticed, many of the religions had lines which were against the internationally accepted human rights, equal rights of women and so on. Some even had lines inviting the followers to kill people of other religions. The lines were quoted from their authentic books and the concerned delegates had no way to disagree. The chairman proposed that all such harmful lines be eliminated from the religious books. The men working with computers quickly worked out and discovered, if such lines are eliminated some religious book would lose 25%, some 50% and some 95% of their volumes. (In one case they opined, they could save only the first and last cover). The chairman repeated his request, but only 5% of the delegates agreed.

      The chairman devised another way, he requested the delegates to find out five prayers, through which the followers of respective religions could express their prayers. The delegates found no problem in doing it and sat to prepare those. The five prayers finalized by each of the religions were shown on the screen and all read those with great enthusiasm. The chairman proposed that this prayer should be taken as mandatory for the respective religion. The delegates accepted his proposal with loud applause. With one day still to go, the chairman could not find any reason why the conference would not be successful.

      On the last day, the chairman proposed, he would give the "SIXTH PRAYER" and that all religions must accept this one along with their five existing prayers.
      Chairman asked : "Do you agree ?"
      The delegates replied, 'well, we cannot give you words unless we hear it'.
      It was an innocent prayer saying "MY GOD (to be replaced by the gods of respective religions), PLEASE DESTROY THE RELIGION RESPONSIBLE FOR MAXIMUM BLOOD-SHED AND CARNAGE ON HUMAN BEING".

      The delegates were afraid that the fifth prayer might not be palatable. But after they heard it, they were happy and accepted with loud applause. So, the conference was highly successful. The chairman ordered for the preparation of last minute's celebration. At this time the man collecting signature of the delegates discovered, one representative was missing.

      Today, on the first day of April, 2007, the Quiz for you is : WHO WAS THE MISSING MAN ?

      Bijon B. Sarma, co-author : JOURNEY TO THE EAST (ISBN 1-55212-755-9)
      website : www.trafford.com/robots/01-0155.html, www.amazon.com
    • peter
      Message 179 of 179 , Apr 26, 2004

        Up against fanaticism

        By Phil Lucas
        Executive Editor

        AP Photo.
        If straight talk of savagery offends you, if you believe in ethnic and gender diversity but not diversity of thought or if you think there is an acceptable gray area between good and evil, then turn to the funny pages, and take the children, too.

        This piece is not for you.

        We published pictures Thursday of burnt American corpses hanging from an Iraqi bridge behind a mob of grinning Muslims.

        Some readers didn’t like it.

        Mothers said it frightened their children. A woman who works with Muslim physicians thought it might offend or endanger them.

        Well, we sure don’t want to frighten, offend or endanger anybody, do we? That’s just too much diversity to handle. I mean, somebody might get hurt.

        We could fill the newspaper every morning with mobs of fanatical Muslims. They can’t get along with their neighbors on much of the planet: France, Chechnya, Bosnia, Indonesia, Spain, Morocco, India, Tunisia, Somalia, etc. etc. etc. Can anybody name three ongoing world conflicts in which Muslims are not involved? Today, where there is war, there are fanatical Muslims. We might quibble about who started what conflicts, but look at the sheer number of them.

        One thing is sure. Muslim killers started the one we are in now when they slaughtered more than 3,000 people, including fellow Muslims, in New York City.

        Madeline Albright, the former secretary of state and feckless appeaser who helped get us into this mess, said last week Muslims still resented the Crusades. Well, Madame Albright, if Westerners were not such a forgiving people, we might resent them too.

        Let’s recap the Crusades. Muslims invaded Europe and when they reached sufficient numbers they imposed their intolerant religion upon Westerners by force. Christian monarchs drove them back and took the battle to their homeland. The fight lasted a couple of centuries, and we bottled them up for 1,000 years.

        Now, a millennium later, Muslims have expanded forth again. Ask France. Ask England. Ask Manhattan. Two-and-a-half years ago fanatical Muslims laid siege to us. We woke up to the obvious. Our president announced it would be a very long war, then took the battle to the Islamic homeland. Sound familiar?

        Let’s consider the concept of a “long war.” Last time it was 200 years, give or take.

        Anybody catch Lord of the Rings? You know, the good part, the part that wasn’t fiction, the part that drew us to the books and movies because it was the truest part: the titanic struggle between good and evil, between freedom and enslavement, between the individual and the state, between the celebration of life and the worshipping of death.

        That’s the fight we are in, and it never ends. It just has peaks and valleys.

        There may be a silent majority of peaceful Muslims – some live here – but that did not save 3,000 people in the World Trade Centers, the millions gassed and butchered in the Middle East, the tens of thousands slain in Eastern Europe and Asia, the hundreds blown to bits in the West Bank and Spain, or the four Americans shot, burned and hung like sausage over the Euphrates as a fanatical minority of Muslims did the joyful dance of death.

        Maybe we are so tolerant, we are so bent on “diversity,” we are so nonjudgmental, we are so wrapped up in our six-packs and ballgames that our brains have drained to our bulbous behinds. Maybe we’re so addled on Ritalin we wouldn’t know which end of a gun to hold. Maybe we need a new drug advertised on TV every three minutes, one that would help us grow a backbone.

        It doesn’t take a Darwin to figure out that in this world the smartest, the fastest, the strongest, and the most committed always win. No exceptions.

        Look at your spouse and children. Look at yourself in the mirror. Then look at the pictures from the paper last Thursday. You better look at them. Those are the people out to kill you.

        Who do you think will win? You? Or them? Think you can take your ball and go home and they will leave you alone? Read a little history. Start with last week, last month, last year, and every other year back for half a century. Then go back a thousand years. Nobody hides from this fight.

        Like it or not, that’s the way it was and that’s the way it is.

        But many Americans don’t get it.

        That’s why we published those pictures.

        If they jarred you off the sofa, if they offended you, if they scared your children and sent you into a rage at mass murderers or heartless editors, then I say, it’s a start.