File - Techwriter List Rules

  • mtl_techwriter@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 183 , Jun 1, 2012
      Montreal Techwriter Forum Posting Rules
      (updated May 2010)
      =======================================
      Greetings!

      This is your monthly reminder of the posting rules
      on this list. If you are a new member and just starting
      to post, please take a minute to review the rules so
      that we can ensure a high quality list.

      The rules here are simple: absolutely no personal
      attacks, defamation or excessively aggressive behavior
      will be tolerated here. All participants share the
      responsibility to communicate in a respectful manner
      in order to encourage a constructive dialogue in a
      friendly atmosphere.

      When posting a question to the list, please try to make
      it as specific as possible. Vague questions are difficult
      to address and answer, so they may be largely ignored.
      This list is intended to provide support to new and
      experienced technical writers. We'll be happy to help
      you with whatever challenges you are facing with your
      projects, but we're not here to train you in the art
      of technical documentation.

      This list is designed to promote the intrinsic value
      of the writing profession. Any post that belittles,
      devalues, or attacks the integrity of the writer or
      the writer's contribution to a project is not welcome.

      If you have any questions or comments, please email
      me at jdhickey@.... These rules may change from
      time to time, so if you're unsure about something,
      feel free to ask me about it!

      I do hope you enjoy your stay and experience in
      the Montreal Techwriter Forum!

      ------------
      About Spamming
      ------------

      ABSOLUTELY NO SPAM WILL BE TOLERATED. This includes
      marketing ads and invitations to join unrelated lists.
      Doing so can result in your immediate removal from the list.
      If you are unsure whether your post may be considered
      spam, send it to the moderator (jdhickey@...)
      and he will decide whether it is suitable or not.

      Elist spam also includes postings that invite users to visit
      websites that act as generalized FAQs, but are really
      only vehicles to sell web advertisements. These postings
      will be rejected and the members removed from the elist.

      This elist is not a recruitment agency and it will not
      provide you with a job simply by asking all 450+ of its
      members to forward you any jobs that become available.
      Therefore, any posts that are similar to the following
      will be considered as spam:

      * "Please send me notice of any job that becomes available"
      * "Here's my CV. Please send it to any job that becomes
      available"
      * "I really want to move to Canada! Please help me find a
      job!"

      ------------
      Member Moderation
      ------------

      This list is largely unmoderated, although new members are
      moderated automatically (this allows me to prevent spam bots
      from filling the elist with noise). This means that your
      posts should generally appear on the list without
      impedement. However, if the owner/moderator of this
      list feels that your posts violate the rules stated
      above, the following will occur:

      1. You will receive a warning and suggestions on how
      to improve the quality of your future posts.

      2. If the warning is ignored or the inappropriate
      posts continue, your posts will be moderated (ie:
      the moderator must approve them before they appear
      on the list). The moderation will continue until
      the moderator feels that you understand how to
      post properly.

      3. If the poster cannot conform to the posting
      rules or the spirit of this list, he/she will be
      removed from the list.

      ------------
      Trimming your posts
      ------------

      Please only quote the minimum of what you need to from a related post
      to provide context for what you want to say. Re-quoting the previous
      post in its entirety is wasteful for bandwidth and makes it that much
      more difficult to read. Chances are we already read that post, so we
      don't need to read it again.

      So before clicking the Send button, please take a moment to make sure
      you trim out the parts of the previous post you don't need. If you do
      this by accident, don't worry about it (no apologies necessary). But
      if you do it too much, you will receive a friendly off-list note about
      it from the moderator.

      ===========================
      1. JOB/CONTRACT POSTINGS
      ===========================

      If you have a job or contract offer in the technical writing
      field, feel free to post it on the elist. Make sure you put
      as much information about the offer as possible.

      Please remember that this elist is designed to serve the
      needs of technical writers in and around the Montreal
      area, although we also have members from across North America.

      1. If the job/contract offer is located in a city outside of
      the Montreal area, please indicate if the work can be
      done remotely, or if it is to be an on-site position, if your
      company is willing to pay relocation costs.

      2. If the job/contract offer is located in a foreign country
      to Canada, please indicate if the work can be done remotely,
      or if it is to be an on-site position.

      3. If the applicant must work in a foreign country, please
      indicate if a work VISA is necessary, or if the employer is
      willing to provide a work VISA for the person who is selected.

      If the moderator requires this type of information, he will
      email you at the address you used to post the job/contract
      offer. If you do not respond to his questions within 7 days,
      he will reject your post and remove you from the elist.

      Job Spam and Identity Theft are very real threats and
      the moderator wishes to keep the members of this elist
      as safe as possible. Thank you for your understanding
      in this matter.

      =====================================
      2. ACCESSING THE MTL_TECHWRITER WEBSITE
      This website not only gives you access to the
      message archives, but also related files, photos,
      database entries, bookmarks, and polls.

      To access the elist website, you must created a Yahoo
      ID linked to the email address you use to access
      the elist. It's one of those dumb Yahoo rules...
      Believe me, I ain't happy about it.

      Creating a Yahoo ID is completely optional, but if
      you want to access the website, you will need to
      create one. Go to "Sign-in and Registration Help"
      at http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/edit/ to find out
      more about it.

      --
      Be seeing you,

      Dave

      A llama?!?! He's supposed to be dead!
      =====================================
    • mtl_techwriter@yahoogroups.com
      Message 183 of 183 , Apr 1 4:11 AM
        Montreal Techwriter Forum Posting Rules
        (updated July 2012)
        =======================================
[...]

        see if any of the email accounts are bouncing (ie: the
        registered email accounts are no longer receiving emails).

        If any accounts are bouncing, they will be removed from the
        elist without notice. If you are removed the elist and do not
        know why, please contact the list owner (jdhickey@...).
        It is likely that you were removed because your email account
        was longer accepting posts from the elist. Provide a valid
        email account and you can rejoin the elist.

        ------------
        Member Moderation

        This list is largely unmoderated, although new members are
        moderated automatically (this allows me to prevent spam bots
        from filling the elist with noise). This means that your
        posts should generally appear on the list without
        impediment. However, if the owner/moderator of this

        Documentia Inc.
        www.documentia.ca