Re: [mt-dev] XSearch. Feedback Appreciated.

  • Benjamin Trott
    • tappnel
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        Thanks for the feedback Ben.

        --- In mt-dev@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Trott <ben@m...> wrote:

        > Actually, limiting searches to a specific weblog may be a good thing in
        > the end, as the current search engine's exposure of blog_id and default
        > of searching all weblogs makes securing off private weblogs more
        > difficult (requiring the use of NoOverride, etc).

        I tossed this very topic around in my head for a bit. I couldn't think of any use cases for
        multiple weblogs myself, but decided to go the way that the built-in search did. If you
        think its a good thing, then that's works for me. In fact it makes my life easier.

        Still not satisfied with the template naming/location scenario that I've implemented.

        > Other thoughts:
        >
        > * It would be cool if the default interface included a facility for
        > paging through results with 10 results per page (or whatever), rather
        > than displaying them all on one page.

        Agreed. I'll write that down for a future release.

        > * One way to test out the flexibility of the interface might be to
        > create an engine using one of the inverted index plugins on the CPAN,
        > or with Plucene.

        Agreed. I had the same thing in mind and I was hoping that wouldn't have to be me
        (initially) so some additional perspective gets added in the process of doing what you
        proposed. (hint hint y'all.)

        <tim/>
      • Adam Kalsey
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
          > I couldn't think of any use cases for multiple weblogs myself,

          Someone who is managing non-blog content in MT (in a separate "blog") may
          want their entire site to be searchable. Having multiple blogs available
          through search would allow them to do so without resorting to a third-party
          search tool or service.

          Adam Kalsey 916.600.2497
          Internet consultant adam@...
          Kalsey Consulting Group http://www.kalsey.com/