Schema validation using Xerces vs. MSV

  • ricardoa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi,

      What are the advantages of using MSV instead of using Xerces
      validating parser?

      - Not needing que schema declaration in the XML document we are
      validating.
      - Parsing the XSD just once.
      - The obvious one: using RelaxNG or DTD or Trex. Not important for me
      since I'm only using XSD.

      With Xerces you need to declare in the XML doc what schema are you
      valid against, right? If I don't declare an XSD in my XML instance, I
      could avoid validation, right?

      Please let me know if I'm wrong on this.

      What are another pros of using MSV?

      Thanks in advance,

      Ricardo
    • Kohsuke Kawaguchi
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2004
        > What are the advantages of using MSV instead of using Xerces
        > validating parser?
        >
        > - Not needing que schema declaration in the XML document we are
        > validating.
        > - Parsing the XSD just once.
        > - The obvious one: using RelaxNG or DTD or Trex. Not important for me
        > since I'm only using XSD.
        >
        > With Xerces you need to declare in the XML doc what schema are you
        > valid against, right? If I don't declare an XSD in my XML instance, I
        > could avoid validation, right?

        Yes. In general there are a lot of ways to avoid a proper validation in
        Xerces.

        > What are another pros of using MSV?

        Better error message for users. More flexible validation. Xerces only
        lets you validate a document when you parse it. MSV allows you to
        validate any SAX event or DOM tree.

        regards,
        --
        Kohsuke Kawaguchi