Subs or Dubs?

  • franshay_barnett_aep
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2005
      All I want to know is if we will be watching most anime with subtitles
      or dubbed over in english.

      I personally don't like dubs, but I know a lot of non-Japanese speaking
      people don't want to have to read either...so what's up?
    • CATRINA SALLY
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
        i LOVE SUBS AND CHIPS/
        -that is all

        --- franshay_barnett_aep <StoneAlone4@...> wrote:

        > All I want to know is if we will be watching most
        > anime with subtitles
        > or dubbed over in english.
        >
        > I personally don't like dubs, but I know a lot of
        > non-Japanese speaking
        > people don't want to have to read either...so what's
        > up?

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • William A Jackson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
          if we got food too that would be incintive enouhg for people to come
          to the veiwing. it would be cool if we could get like fundraising
          for food, with like the video game tournies that will be lined
          up....just an idea

          --- In msu_anime_unlimited@yahoogroups.com, CATRINA SALLY
          <SALLYKUS@Y...> wrote:
          > i LOVE SUBS AND CHIPS/
          > -that is all
          >
          > --- franshay_barnett_aep <StoneAlone4@a...> wrote:
          >
          > > All I want to know is if we will be watching most
          > > anime with subtitles
          > > or dubbed over in english.
          > >
          > > I personally don't like dubs, but I know a lot of
          > > non-Japanese speaking
          > > people don't want to have to read either...so what's
          > > up?

          > Yahoo! Sports
        • Rolicia
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
            i was thinking subs cuz with dubs, you don't get the full experience of
            the anime (usually cuz it's butchered to hell)
          • Rolicia
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
              we were already planning on having food
            • rufus_tnm
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
                subs all the way...except when i just don't feel like reading. most of
                the time subbed is my preference. the funny thing about subbed, though
                is that the translations are sometimes too literal and/or verbose.
                you'll notice that if you watch a part subbed then watch again dubbed.
                you'll definitely notice a difference. subbed is still better, i just
                wish they'd learn to paraphrase. nobody feels like reading paragraphs.
                it takes away from the experience a little. my biggest complaint with
                dubbed is that even if the dialogue isn't butchered, the voices are
                almost always so very inappropriate. it's like nails on a chalkboard.
                *shiver*
              • William A Jackson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
                  that is true, most anime gets translated and in translation alot of
                  content or concept gets lost or toned down, so, it would most likely
                  be better to get sub-titled anime

                  --- In msu_anime_unlimited@yahoogroups.com, "Rolicia"
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
                    ok, but he also brought up the issue of funding. i have that sponsors
                    list but i'm not exactly in a position during break to use it. and as
                    you know i did watch darren write to/call a couple of them, but they
                    never got back to us. there's still the lollipops thing i guess. we
                    just need someone to head that particular endeavor...
                  • Rolicia
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
                      i'm working with Dr. Brunson on that. we're also planning to ask for a
                      budget from SGA