Manga You Should Read

  • brbro4
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14 9:21 AM
      Since there is no more book club, I've decided to periodically offer
      some recommendations for those of you who read manga. The first one
      is...DEATHNOTE! This is a really good one. A death god named Ryuuk
      drops his deathnote which is a notebook that kills anyone whos name is
      written in it. The note is picked up by a kid named Light Yagami who
      is a bored genius in high school, desperate for something to do. Once
      he finds the note, he decides to rid the world of crime by killing off
      everyone he thinks is evil. It doesn't take long for the police to
      catch on, and a magnificient (and mysterious) detective named L
      decides to help find the killer. What is interesting about this manga
      is that it is less about Light killing off criminals, and more about
      the cat-and-mouse game between Light and L. Check it out!
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14 2:49 PM
        Hmmm....I might check that out. And another good idea, by the way. :)
      • brbro4
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2006
          Hello everyone, it's brian again with another manga recommendation. I
          try to post one every week, but I never got around to it last week cuz
          I was so busy. Anyway, let's get started! This week's recommendation
          is Batlle Angel Alita (GUMMN). Here's the synopsis:The people and
          cyborgs of the Scrap Yard live beneath the flying city of Tiphares,
          whose inhabitants dump their junk in the Scrap Yard and rules above
          it's inhabitants. One day doc Ido, a former Tipharean citizen, finds
          the intact head of young cyborg-girl in a vast pile of scrap. He takes
          her in and gives her a body and the name Alita. Alita then discovers
          since long forgotten fighting techniques hidden in her body and
          decides to become a hunter-warrior like Ido.
          This is a really good action manga with a good story and great art
          work. It's also easy to read so it won't take long to finish. Check it
          out. Peace!
        • brbro4
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 29, 2006
            Wassup everyone?! It's me Brian, here again with another
            recommendation. This week's manga is BLAME!(yes, the excalmation
            point is part of the title). This manga is crazy. First of all it
            has the least amount of dialogue I have every seen in a manga.
            Sometimes it goes pages without any words at all. Also, the story
            unclear. Since there's no talking there's nothing telling you what's
            going on and why. All you really know is that this guy Killy is
            looking for these things called Net Terminal Genes and blows up
            whatever gets in his way with this powerful gun he has. Actually,
            the story doesn't really begin to come in until the second volume.
            So why would I bother recommending this manga? Well for one thing,
            BLAME! has great artwork. The characters, the massive structures
            Killy explores, all of it is very impressive. Also, I'm intrested in
            seeing where the story goes since we know so little about the world
            Killy lives in, his mission, and Killy himself. I'm only up to vol.
            2 (I have vol. 3 but I haven't read it yet) so there's not too much
            more for me to tell you, but as always, you can borrow one of my
            copies if you want to check it out. Peace.

            There's more info here:
            http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=3258