PRESS RELEASE: FOSIS condemns Mumbai attacks ‏

  • Shamil Semanat
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2008

      PRESS RELEASE

      ATTENTION NEWSDESK – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      DATE: Friday 28th November 2008

      FOSIS condemns Mumbai attacks

      The Federation of Student Islamic Societies (FOSIS) in the UK and Eire today strongly condemned the Mumbai attacks.

      Qasim Rafiq, spokesman for FOSIS, said today, "We condemn in no uncertain terms the attacks that have, and continue to, take place in Mumbai, and our thoughts are with the victims and their families.  It is inconceivable that one could justify such attacks on innocent people, and at this tragic time it is vital that all efforts are made to end the siege as quickly, and as peacefully as possible."

      He further added, "It has been suggested that some of the perpetrators of the attacks may have originated from the UK, and whilst this remains unclear, we would urge everyone to show restraint and refrain from making such claims without substantial evidence during this very difficult and testing time.  The priority has to be ending the siege before focusing on where it originated.  Nevertheless, our message remains the same, such acts cannot be justified and it is our sincere hope that those behind such attacks are brought to justice."

      [Ends]

      Notes:

      1.      FOSIS (est. 1962) is the umbrella organisation of student groups in colleges and universities throughout the UK and Ireland, representing over 90,000 Muslim students.

      2.      For more information please contact FOSIS media on 07786636691, email head.media@... or alternatively visit our website www.fosis.org.uk