FW: [gafairtax] Congressman Linder's response to the Tax Panel's recommendations

  • Philip Hinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2005

      -----Original Message-----
      From: gafairtax@yahoogroups.com [mailto:gafairtax@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rcoyne11270
      Sent:
      Tuesday, November 01, 2005 3:50 PM
      To: gafairtax@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [gafairtax] Congressman Linder's response to the Tax Panel's recommendations

      November 1st, 2005 Contact: Gretchen Learman

      LINDER STATEMENT REGARDING THE RELEASE OF THE PRESIDENT'S ADVISORY
      PANEL ON FEDERAL TAX REFORM RECOMMENDATIONS

      Washington, D.C. - On November 1, 2005, Congressman John Linder (R-
      GA) made the following statement regarding the release of the
      President's Advisory Panel on Federal Tax Reform recommendations:

      "The Mack-Breaux Tax Reform Commission announced its tax reform
      recommendations earlier today. True to early reports, the Commission
      punted on the issue of true fundamental reform in favor of nibbling
      around the edges of tax codes. While I applaud the Commission for its
      limited work, such as coming to grips with the benefits and burdens
      of mortgage interest and employer-provided health insurance
      deductibility, by failing to propose fundamental reform the
      Commission simply perpetuates the economic drag on our economy that
      is the American tax code - a drag that disproportionately burdens
      America's working families.

      "I remain hopeful, however, that Treasury Secretary Snow in his
      recommendations to President Bush will reach far beyond the limited
      foundation laid by the Tax Commission and propose true tax
      replacement in the form of a consumption tax - perhaps even a
      consumption tax that mirrors my FairTax proposal. The FairTax, the
      fundamental tax reform plan with more co-sponsors than any other bill
      in Congress, abolishes the entire income and payroll tax code and
      replaces it with a personal consumption tax on the purchase of new
      goods and services.

      "As disappointed as I am by the Mack-Breaux Tax Reform Commission's
      modest tax reform proposal, I am comforted in the knowledge that the
      report is only a small first step in what will be serious and
      fruitful Congressional action on fundamental tax reform in 2006. I
      urge Treasury Secretary Snow, President Bush, and my colleagues on
      both sides of the aisle in the House and the Senate to look seriously
      at the FairTax and to join me in exploring comprehensive options for
      preparing
      America's tax code and its economy for the challenges of
      the 21st century."

      from Congressman Linder's website
      11/1/2005