FW: [FAIRTAX_DD] In Iowa, Repub.Pres. Candids. Asked: "Would You Veto A Tax Increase?" (IowaPolitics.com)

  • Philip Hinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007

      FAIR TAX? As president, will you sign the "FairTax" (currently, HR 25/S 1025) into law if passed by Congress?

      Thompson: I will sign it as soon as it reaches my desk. I believe very much in that fair tax. I think the fair tax is the right thing. I absolutely believe the way the Congress is set up right now, we can’t get it passed.

      Huckabee: I would like April 15 to be another beautiful spring day in
      America. I would rally this country to approve the fair tax. I want a tax that doesn’t penalize people for getting married and having kids. The fair tax gives us a chance to revive our economy.

      Brownback: I cannot respond to the specific bill. If it is pro-growth and family friendly, I would sign it. I think we are going to have more difficulty getting to a fair tax system. (He proposed a flat tax, which he says is easier to achieve.)

      Romney: I like taxation that is simpler and family friendly. We need to keep our rates down. I believe savings for middle-income people should be tax free. I want to look at the fair tax, but I will fight for the things I describe.

      Tancredo: Of course I will. If I am a co-sponsor, it is pretty sure I will sign it into law.

      Hunter: I can’t tell you how important this is to keep our industry in the
      United States. We have to take manufacturing taxes to zero.

      NOTE: The first response is apparently from TOMMY Thompson, not Fred, since Fred Thompson is not a declared candidate (which is apparently going to change in the near future).  This is the first time I have heard that Tommy Thompson supports the FairTax.  It looks like Brownback, Romney, Guiliani and McCain are just about the only Republican Presidential candidates who do not support it.