Merging two Access Databases

  • alison325
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6 10:16 PM
      Hi everyone

      Hoping someone can help me with this, or clarify what is or isn't
      possible.

      I have two databases (inherited from colleagues)that I would like to
      merge into one database.

      In each database:
      Table 1 has a one-to-many relationship with Table 2
      Table 2 also has a one to many relationship with Table 3

      The records in Tables 1 and 3 are identical in each database, but
      Table 2 has unique records in each database.

      Is there a way to merge both databases without losing the
      relationships between tables?

      I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or advice anyone can offer.

      Alison
    • Clauss Gilbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11 5:09 AM
        I suppose the kind of information you have in the two databases are the same ? Otherwise it is no use (but no problem too :-)
        What kind of primary key do you have in each table : is there such thing as the primary key of table1 of database1 has the same value as primary key of table1 of database2 ? In this case fusion might become difficult (attempt to duplicate primary keys, or/and loss of the links between the tables).
        Be cautious, make backups first, but you can declare each table of database1 as an external file of database2, then try to make insert queries (insert the records of db1.table1 into db2.table1)
        Always start with table 1 (because table 2 might depend on it, if there are referential integrities), then table2, then table 3
        Does it help ?

        Gilbert

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11 10:44 PM
          Thanks for your suggestions Gilbert. I'll give that a try.

          Alison

          --- In ms_access@yahoogroups.com, "Clauss Gilbert" <gilbert.clauss@...>