Re: Physical data model question

  • Dick Root
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      Jim,
      There are at least two valid approaches to physical database design.
      The top-down (outside-in) approach and the bottom-up (inside-out)
      approach. I personally always use the bottom-up approach.
      Temporarily ignoring my reporting requirements, I document the
      Entities (people, project, departments, companies, etc.) that my
      system is about. I document each entity's attributes. Then I document
      the relationships between the entities. I create a table for each
      entity and a table-column for each attribute. This part of my
      solution is used for add/change/delete processing. The relational
      database theory tell me if I don't do this I will experience update
      anomalies (or at least difficulties).
      Then I study my reporting requirements noting which table-columns are
      required for each report. Then in M.S. Access I create a query for
      each report that brings together the required data. I use the M.S.
      Access report writing facility. The report writing becomes very easy.
      I just point each report at a single query.
      Dick