Question about difference in servo hacks

  • bmscho01
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2002
      Hi. I was wondering what exactly is the difference in the
      traditional servo hack and the mekatronix servo hack. I am
      contemplating which servo to buy for a robotics project.

      Thanks in advance,
      -Brian
    • Scott Jantz
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2002
        Traditional removes all the circuitry from the servo turning it into a Gearhead motor this hack requires a board (MRSX01) with a motor driver. The Mekatronix hack leaves the controller circuitry in servo but makes it work like a motor. You might wonder why the first hack exists since the second seems easier, cheaper and does the same thing. The contollers in servos are PID based and have a speed curve that is sigmoidal meaning at low speed (10-50% speed) small differences in PWM have larger differences in speed. So in some low speed high percision tasks the "Tradidional" hack may be better. In my experience in small robots they are too light to expect high precision speed control and the mekatronix hack works fine and you relay on sensor feedback to control the robot.
        --Scott

        From: "bmscho01" <bmscho01@...>
        Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:39:39 -0000

        >Hi. I was wondering what exactly is the difference in the
        >traditional servo hack and the mekatronix servo hack. I am
        >contemplating which servo to buy for a robotics project.
        >
        >Thanks in advance,
        >-Brian
        >

        >You are getting this e-mail because you subscribed and your settings are set to receive a copy of all the messages. You can change your preferences to "Web Only" by logging into your account.

      • bmscho01
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2002
          Ok, I'm confused. He said the traditional hack removes the
          circuitry. I found a thing at
          http://www.mekatronix.com/manuals/Misc/servohack.pdf that states the
          circuitry is removed. Am I just misreading this document, or is
          this not the 'mekatronix' hack?

          -Brian

          --- In mrrobot@y..., "Scott Jantz" <scott@m...> wrote:
          > Traditional removes all the circuitry from the servo turning it
          into a Gearhead motor this hack requires a board (MRSX01) with a
          motor driver. The Mekatronix hack leaves the controller circuitry
          in servo but makes it work like a motor. You might wonder why the
          first hack exists since the second seems easier, cheaper and does
          the same thing. The contollers in servos are PID based and have a
          speed curve that is sigmoidal meaning at low speed (10-50% speed)
          small differences in PWM have larger differences in speed. So in
          some low speed high percision tasks the "Tradidional" hack may be
          better. In my experience in small robots they are too light to
          expect high precision speed control and the mekatronix hack works
          fine and you relay on sensor feedback to control the robot.
          > --Scott

          > From: "bmscho01" <bmscho01@a...>
          > Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:39:39 -0000
          >
          > >Hi. I was wondering what exactly is the difference in the
          > >traditional servo hack and the mekatronix servo hack. I am
          > >contemplating which servo to buy for a robotics project.
          > >
          > >Thanks in advance,
          > >-Brian
          > >

          > >You are getting this e-mail because you subscribed and your
          settings are set to receive a copy of all the messages. You can
          change your preferences to "Web Only" by logging into your account.

          > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Scott Jantz
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2002
            "mekatronix" uses both hacks the full one (no circuitry) is in the TALRIK
            robot and the other is in the TJPRO robot.
            --Scott

            Ok, I'm confused. He said the traditional hack removes the
            circuitry. I found a thing at
            http://www.mekatronix.com/manuals/Misc/servohack.pdf that states the
            circuitry is removed. Am I just misreading this document, or is
            this not the 'mekatronix' hack?

            -Brian

            --- In mrrobot@y..., "Scott Jantz" <scott@m...> wrote:
            > Traditional removes all the circuitry from the servo turning it
            into a Gearhead motor this hack requires a board (MRSX01) with a
            motor driver. The Mekatronix hack leaves the controller circuitry
            in servo but makes it work like a motor. You might wonder why the
            first hack exists since the second seems easier, cheaper and does
            the same thing. The contollers in servos are PID based and have a
            speed curve that is sigmoidal meaning at low speed (10-50% speed)
            small differences in PWM have larger differences in speed. So in
            some low speed high percision tasks the "Tradidional" hack may be
            better. In my experience in small robots they are too light to
            expect high precision speed control and the mekatronix hack works
            fine and you relay on sensor feedback to control the robot.
            > --Scott

            > From: "bmscho01" <bmscho01@a...>
            > Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:39:39 -0000
            >
            > >Hi. I was wondering what exactly is the difference in the
            > >traditional servo hack and the mekatronix servo hack. I am
            > >contemplating which servo to buy for a robotics project.
            > >
            > >Thanks in advance,
            > >-Brian
            > >

            > >You are getting this e-mail because you subscribed and your
            settings are set to receive a copy of all the messages. You can
            change your preferences to "Web Only" by logging into your account.

            > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            You are getting this e-mail because you subscribed and your settings are set
            to receive a copy of all the messages. You can change your preferences to
            "Web Only" by logging into your account.

            Introducing NetZero Long Distance
            1st month Free!