newbie-different question

  • ctautorsto1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2002
      hello all, if one would have told me that i would be here,even 2 days
      ago i wouldnt have believed them, but , here i am. i own a small auto
      diagnostic and general repair shop.recently i ebayed an accel digital
      fuel injection "piggyback"controller that works by modifying certain
      fuel and ignition points and is programmable "on the fly" via a
      laptop computer and accels software called calmap-interface between
      the 2 is via rs-232 cable and com1.well heres the rub-was having a
      difficult time making contact -wasnt at all-with the box to start
      calbrating it to my use. at some point i must of said to myself "new
      approach required" and started browsing using rs232 as the keyword on
      the net. soon i saw that txd and rxd were being used in the tutorials
      i was reading-hey thats what the pin out schematic mentions
      too,although later i would discover the pins were different because
      of the age of my controller then typed in-tada-mc68hc11a1fn, not
      knowing if this little chip within the processor had anything to do
      with anything, but desperate i was.browsing several sites i noticed a
      common thing- lookie there txd and rxd again.i was on to
      something.started tracing the board and found the incorrect wiring
      swapped them around and was communicating now, but with some errors
      from time to time-echo mismatch and timeout error-but i was in
      there.now the real drag-i built a test bench to work the programming
      while stationary, to get a feel for the program-all was good till
      yesterday and i shorted the board and sizzled a 5 volt supply wire
      the laptop uses to verify connection is on(i think)re-soldered a new
      little wire in its place 5 volts returned to where it belonged, but
      now all i get is "timeout error" message when i try to hook up with
      my computer now.did i fry my chip by doing the short circuit? isthere
      a way to test this chip?/even if i buy a new one is it "blank" and
      would need programming anyhow? i have burned eproms for cars but....
      any input is appreciated and i will entertain all ideas put forth.
      what a learning curve to end up this way.almost had it.oh-it appears
      none of the barbecued circuit tracer hooked to the microcontroller,
      however the symptoms say something is amiss. thanks for bearing with
      me, frank
    • Scott Jantz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2002
        I am not sure what fried but replacement 68hc11a1s can be obtained from www.mrrobot.com and the other chip that can fry in that case is the RS-232 driver (5V to +-12V converter). those chips can be obtained from the above site along with a board that will do the conversion from the a1s TX and RX lines to the laptop and that board is the MB2325.
        Good luck,
        --Scott