Brazil Camp 2009 events in U.S. this summer

  • emcbrazil
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2009
      I'm writing to tell you about 3 big, fat week of Brazilian music and dance fun I've been putting together for some time now. Brazil Camp East, the New England incarnation, and happens June 7-13. The original event, California Brazil Camp, makes its 13th appearance under the enormous California redwoods August 23 - 29 and August 30 - September 5.

      More info below and attached -- consider yourself and your students more than invited and anything you can do to help spread the word on this is more than appreciated!

      Tudo de bom,

      Eric Crawford

      PS let me know if you have any questions -- I'm at 415 335-5155. Official press release below:

      Photos from past years:

      1st Annual Brazil Camp East
      June 7-13, 2009 - Windsor, New Hampshire
      Our New England debut! Faculty highlights: Luiz Brasil (guitarist/arranger for
      Caetano & Cassia Eller), bassist Itaiguara Brandao, dance instructor Quenia
      Ribeiro (Alvin Ailey Extension), master drummer Jorge Alabé, and Meia Noite
      (percussionist for Sergio Mendes). More at www.calbrazilcamp.com/bce

      Check out the registration forms online for early sign-up discounts.

      So what is this Brazil Camp thing anyway?
      It's the spirit of Brazil in the form of a music and dance camp. Choro, jazz & bossa,
      maracatú, every flavor of samba, and sacred afro-Brazilian rhythms are a few highlights.
      With superb instructors from Brazil and North America and an all-levels approach, classes
      and jams are fun, challenging, and inspiring.

      3288 21st St. #14
      San Francisco, CA 94110

      Official press release:

      For Immediate Release

      Brazil Camp Brings Music and Dance to the East Coast
      WINDSOR, N.H.., Feb. 19, 2009 – An intensive, week-long program in Brazilian music and dance performance makes its East Coast debut June 7 to June 13 in New Hampshire at the Windsor Mountain summer camp.

      "Brazil Camp is all about immersion in the music," said artistic director
      Dennis Broughton, who founded the first such Camp in California in the
      1990s. "Spending a week in a beautiful place, with great company and
      fine food, opens you up to the rhythms, the traditions, and the
      language of Brazil."

      Among the music faculty currently scheduled for the first East Coast incarnation include Sergio Mendes' percussionist, Meia Noite, bassist Itaiguara Brandao, and the long-time guitarist for Caetano Veloso and Cassia Eller, Luiz Brasil. California's event this year features the return of composer/guitarist Guinga and singer Moyseis Marques.
      Past lineups have included composer/pianist Jovino Santos Neto, percussionists Airto Moreira and John Santos, clarinetist Paulo Sergio Santos, and mandolinists Hamilton da Hollanda and Mike Marshall.

      According to Broughton, percussionists have often cited the tutelage of Rio de
      Janeiro's Jorge Alabe, a master samba drummer and head the advanced samba percussion ensemble on both coasts, as a major draw. Additionally, the current percussion director of one of Rio's major samba schools will join the faculty in California.

      Dance instruction will include Rio-style samba to candomble forms. A
      perennial favorite at the California event, Rosangela Silvestre from
      Salvador, Bahia , will teach Afro-folkloric dance as well as her own
      modern technique. Brazil Camp East will feature dancer Quenia Ribeiro,
      who teaches at the Alvin Ailey school.

      Camp director Rich Rice believes the popularity of the camp, which
      consistently sells out each August in California, lies in the range of
      talent and the enthusiasm of the students. "All skill levels are
      encouraged to attend; dancers are encouraged to pick up instruments,
      and musicians are encouraged to try a dance class. Music fans unsure
      about either are encouraged to jump right in and learn by doing," Rice
      explained. Musicians and dancers of all ages are welcome, according to
      Rice, including supervised children and independent teens.

      The Windsor Mountain camp is located in rustic south-central New
      Hampshire. It features a large pond ideal for swimming and canoeing, a
      dance hall, and indoor accommodations. The West Coast version of the camp will again be held in Cazadero, California from August 23 to the 29th, and again on August 30 to September 5.

      Brazil Camp Contact:
      Rich Rice, 415.824.2894, info@...

      Brazil Camp East and California Brazil Camp
      more than a decade, Brazil Camp has provided an unforgettable week of
      music, dance, cuisine, and natural beauty to thousands of participants.
      Visit Brazil Camp at http://www.calbrazilcamp.com and http://www.calbrazilcamp.com/bce.