New Postings at "Likembe": Oliver de Coque & Ebenezer Obey

  • beadlejp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2008
      Dear Friends:

      I've recently added some new music to my audioblog Likembe.

      From Memories of Oliver de Coque:

      ". . .Listening to Oliver de Coque for the first time in 1984, I was made aware that there was a whole lot more to Nigerian music than King Sunny Adé and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. De Coque, born Oliver Sunday Akanite, passed away of a heart attack on Friday, June 20, joining in death his colleagues Sonny Okosuns (who died only in May), Stephen Osita Osadebe, Nelly Uchendu and Warrior. With his passing, Nigerian highlife music, on life support for the last twenty years, has sustained a mortal blow. It's doubtful that anybody, or anything, can take his place. . . "

      Ebenezer Obey On The Town!:

      ". . .As I promised, here is the second installment of ground-breaking classic jùjú by the great Ebenezer Obey, his LP On The Town (Decca WAPS 30, reissued as Obey WAPS), recorded in London in 1970. Here we find the Chief Commander and his International Brothers stretching out with a non-stop medley on Side 1. Side 2 features two extended cuts. I especially enjoyed the highlife 'Ajoyio/Ore Mi Maje Aja'. . ."

      Please feel free to drop by!

      John Beadle