My Interview

  • Ernest
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3 8:21 PM
      Hello Everyone

      As you may or may not know I will be traveling to Bethlehem, PA to teach workshops and lecture at 2 colleges. This is part of the trip that includes New York next week. I wanted to share with you an interview that I did as part of the promotion so that folks can get to know me better.

      (Musings with the Maestros: An Interview with Ernest Williams (Nov. 3, 2010)
      Ernest Williams will be visiting Bethlehem and New York City between November 11th and November 15th presenting a series of lectures and workshops illuminating the relationship between African cultural influences and the tango. He spent some time talking with La Vida Del Tango about his journey from break-dancing in Philadelphia to being the protagonist of what may be the most-watched performance of canyengue on youtube (upwards of 24,000 and counting). See our Workshops page for scheduling and details.

      LVDT: You seem to have been involved in dance a long time.

      EW: I've loved dancing since I was a child. I grew up in Philadelphia and when I was a kid—that was back in the late 1970s and early 80s—break-dancing was the thing and I was always out there, pop-locking and all that kind of stuff. I did Michael Jackson imitations and I even entered a school competition with red jacket, zipper and gloves. In the `hood there was always a new dance—the wop or the smurf, whatever new dance was out that year, I would do it. One time my older sister told me "all you is that break dancing, that's not dancing—you can't dance." That bugged me! Although I didn't let it get me down, I kept it in mind..........)

      To Read the rest click on the following link. or got to Lavidadeltango.org and click on essays and articles.

      http://lavidadeltango.org/essays_and_articles