Hi Larry, ... Not entirely true. The semimajor axis tends toward infinity as the eccentricity approaches 1 (parabolic orbit). For hyperbolic orbits, youfeliks314159
I note an interesting problem -- asteroid 2017 MB7 which the Minor Planet Center (and I) treat as an asteroid in that it has asteroid-style elements. That is,
For what it's worth, numbered periodic comets are designated as "number"P/Name (eg 1P/Halley or 2P/Encke). So, it makes some consistent sense to refer to
MPML is open to all with an interest in asteroids and comets. However, since many active MPML members are seriously involved in this field of research, the posts to this list can often be rather technical.
The MPML archives are available to all as a service to the astronomical community. To post on MPML you must be a member.
- Apr 18, 2000
- This is a public group.
- Attachments are not permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership does not require approval.
- Messages from new members require approval.
- All members can post messages.