Radar Detection of 2013 ET

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 10:51 AM
      Hi Everyone,

      Thank you again to everyone who has observed 2013 ET and reported astrometry.
      It was absolutely essential and it enabled us to detect radar echoes from
      2013 ET at Goldstone earlier today.

      The radar signal-to-noise ratios were stronger than expected and we obtained
      images with a range resolution as fine as 7.5 meters/pixel, but even so, the
      images barely resolve the object into a few range rows because 2013 ET is
      so small. We measured a number of Doppler and time-delay corrections
      to the ephemeris and really nailed the orbit, so we don't need any more
      optical astrometry.

      The Doppler broadening (aka the bandwidth) of the echoes varies as
      the asteroid spins, so clearly it's somewhat elongated, and there are
      hints of irregularity in the shape in the images. We're planning to
      release some images after the track on March 10 when we should see
      more detail if things go well.

      Best wishes,

      Lance Benner, Marina Brozovic, & Jon Giorgini
      JPL