Re: Asteroid 2012 XE54 to Cross Earth's Shadow

  • pbirtwhistle
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
      Pasquale,

      Great prediction! I've put up a very preliminary lightcurve covering the eclipse earlier today, showing minimum centred around approx. 01:37:00 UT, probably around mag ~ +17.5 (but still to analyse all the images from the deepest part of the eclipse properly)

      http://bit.ly/VwgtXc

      Regards,

      Peter
      J95

      --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:

      > Just a reminder that the possible eclipse of asteroid 2012 XE54 is
      > starting in 1 hour.
      >
      > I have updated the website with a plot of the expected magnitude, and
      > I will keep updating it as more data become available.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Pasquale
      >
      > --
      > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
      > Planetary Science Institute
      > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric
      >

      > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:
      > > It looks like asteroid 2012 XE54 is on its way to cross Earth's
      > > penumbra cone just hours before the flyby, between 01:22 and 02:00 UTC
      > > of December 11, 2012. More details at:
      > >
      > > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric/2012XE54.html
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Pasquale
      > >
      > > --
      > > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
      > > Planetary Science Institute
      > > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric

    • Gareth
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
        The timing of which agrees very nicely with the mid-point
        of the "in Earth's penumbra" displayed in the MPES for this object.
        Horizons also indicates when objects are in shadow.

        Gareth