Re: {MPML} Re: Asteroid 2012 XE54 to Cross Earth's Shadow

  • Dr. Elia Cozzi - New Millennium Observato
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
      Hi All,
      at 01:43:43 a very faint track is visible, at 01:48:43 a very bright track is visible.
      Regards,
      Elia Cozzi
      A24

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
        Pasquale,

        Great prediction! I've put up a very preliminary lightcurve covering the eclipse earlier today, showing minimum centred around approx. 01:37:00 UT, probably around mag ~ +17.5 (but still to analyse all the images from the deepest part of the eclipse properly)

        http://bit.ly/VwgtXc

        Regards,

        Peter
        J95

        --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:

        > Just a reminder that the possible eclipse of asteroid 2012 XE54 is
        > starting in 1 hour.
        >
        > I have updated the website with a plot of the expected magnitude, and
        > I will keep updating it as more data become available.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Pasquale
        >
        > --
        > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
        > Planetary Science Institute
        > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric
        >

        > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:
        > > It looks like asteroid 2012 XE54 is on its way to cross Earth's
        > > penumbra cone just hours before the flyby, between 01:22 and 02:00 UTC
        > > of December 11, 2012. More details at:
        > >
        > > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric/2012XE54.html
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Pasquale
        > >
        > > --
        > > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
        > > Planetary Science Institute
        > > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric

      • Gareth
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
          The timing of which agrees very nicely with the mid-point
          of the "in Earth's penumbra" displayed in the MPES for this object.
          Horizons also indicates when objects are in shadow.

          Gareth