Re: {MPML} Re: Asteroid 2012 XE54 to Cross Earth's Shadow

  • Dr. Elia Cozzi - New Millennium Observato
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
      Hi All,
      In two images taken at 01:30:16 and 01:31:18, 60sec exposure, 2012 XE54 appeared as a very faint and long track, then... nothing. In the following images there is no visible track.

      Wonderful!

      Regards,
      Elia Cozzi
      A24 - New Millennium Observatory
      14"SCT Telescope F/11 + Apogee ALTA U47

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
        Hi All,
        at 01:43:43 a very faint track is visible, at 01:48:43 a very bright track is visible.
        Regards,
        Elia Cozzi
        A24

        --
        Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
        Planetary Science Institute
        http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric

        On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:
        > It looks like asteroid 2012 XE54 is on its way to cross Earth's
        > penumbra cone just hours before the flyby, between 01:22 and 02:00 UTC
        > of December 11, 2012. More details at:
        >
        > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric/2012XE54.html
        >
        > Regards,
        > Pasquale
        >
        > --
        > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
        > Planetary Science Institute
        > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric

      • pbirtwhistle
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
          Pasquale,

          Great prediction! I've put up a very preliminary lightcurve covering the eclipse earlier today, showing minimum centred around approx. 01:37:00 UT, probably around mag ~ +17.5 (but still to analyse all the images from the deepest part of the eclipse properly)

          http://bit.ly/VwgtXc

          Regards,

          Peter
          J95

          --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:

          > Just a reminder that the possible eclipse of asteroid 2012 XE54 is
          > starting in 1 hour.
          >
          > I have updated the website with a plot of the expected magnitude, and
          > I will keep updating it as more data become available.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Pasquale
          >
          > --
          > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
          > Planetary Science Institute
          > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric
          >

          > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Pasquale Tricarico <tricaric@...> wrote:
          > > It looks like asteroid 2012 XE54 is on its way to cross Earth's
          > > penumbra cone just hours before the flyby, between 01:22 and 02:00 UTC
          > > of December 11, 2012. More details at:
          > >
          > > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric/2012XE54.html
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Pasquale
          > >
          > > --
          > > Pasquale Tricarico, Ph.D.
          > > Planetary Science Institute
          > > http://orbit.psi.edu/~tricaric

        • Gareth
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
            The timing of which agrees very nicely with the mid-point
            of the "in Earth's penumbra" displayed in the MPES for this object.
            Horizons also indicates when objects are in shadow.

            Gareth