Radar Detection of 2012 QG42

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2012
      Greetings Everyone,

      I want to inform you that we successfully detecte radar echoes from 2012 QG42
      at Goldstone on September 13. The astrometry that many of you provided was
      invaluable so thank you very much for your help!

      We spent most of our time during the track improving the orbit by estimating
      Doppler and ranging corrections to the ephemerides. The radar data are
      consistent with a slow rotation period as inferred from the lightcurves
      reported by Brian Warner.

      We have one more track scheduled at Goldstone on Sep. 15 and four tracks at
      Arecibo on Sep. 14-17.

      Regards,

      Lance Benner, Marina Brozovic, and Jon Giorgini (all at JPL),
      on behalf of the radar team