2012 QG42: A Possible Radar Target in September

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 28, 2012
      Hi Everyone,

      We are planning to request time to observe newly-discovered near-Earth asteroid
      2012 QG42 with radar at Goldstone and Arecibo in September. The current solution in the JPL/Horizons
      online ephemeris system suggests a close encounter within 8 lunar distances in mid-September,
      indicating that this object should be a really strong delay-Doppler imaging target.

      However, we need help with astrometry because the plane-of-sky pointing uncertainties
      are too large for us and because the asteroid will be less than 30 degrees
      from the nearly-full Moon for a few days starting on August 31.
      Can someone please obtain astrometry over the next couple of nights?
      If so, we would really appreciate it. As always, please report it to the Minor Planet
      Center in the usual manner. Astrometry reported after the Moon moves well away
      from the asteroid would also be very welcome (and is probably necessary).

      Thank you,

      Lance Benner, on behalf of the radar team
    • Alan W Harris
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 28, 2012
        And after the moon gets out of the way in first week of September, it will
        be nice and bright and a good photometric target (please, calibrated
        photometry rather than yet another movie!).

        At 04:55 PM 8/28/2012, Lance Benner wrote:

        >Hi Everyone,
        >
        >We are planning to request time to observe newly-discovered near-Earth
        >asteroid
        >2012 QG42 with radar at Goldstone and Arecibo in September. The current
        >solution in the JPL/Horizons
        >online ephemeris system suggests a close encounter within 8 lunar
        >distances in mid-September,
        >indicating that this object should be a really strong delay-Doppler
        >imaging target.
        >
        >However, we need help with astrometry because the plane-of-sky pointing
        >uncertainties
        >are too large for us and because the asteroid will be less than 30 degrees
        >from the nearly-full Moon for a few days starting on August 31.
        >Can someone please obtain astrometry over the next couple of nights?
        >If so, we would really appreciate it. As always, please report it to the
        >Minor Planet
        >Center in the usual manner. Astrometry reported after the Moon moves well
        >away
        >from the asteroid would also be very welcome (and is probably necessary).
        >
        >Thank you,
        >
        >Lance Benner, on behalf of the radar team

        Alan Harris Phone: 818-790-8291
        4603 Orange Knoll Ave.
        La CaƱada, CA 91011-3364
        email: harrisaw@...
      • Michael Busch
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2012
          Everyone,

          An addition to Lance's email yesterday night:

          Secondary to astrometry, we would appreciate any attempts at obtaining
          lightcurves over the next couple of nights, even though QC42 is so close
          to the Moon.

          We will attempt radar speckle tracking with Arecibo and the VLBA to
          determine QC42's pole direction if its spin period is longer than about
          2.5 hours, so even a partial lightcurve now will help us in scheduling
          the radar tracks.

          More detailed lightcurves after the Moon has moved out of the way will
          also be appreciated, along with additional astrometry.

          Thank you all.

          Michael Busch, on behalf of the radar team
        • walcom77
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2012
            Dear Lance, Michael & All

            We just observed 2012 QG42 and sent the astrometry to the MPC as
            usual. Hope this can help you!

            We wrote about this close approach on our blog too:

            http://bit.ly/Q0waZL

            Ciao,
            Ernesto Guido, Nick Howes & Giovanni Sostero
            http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
            http://twitter.com/comets77
          • Paolo Bacci
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
              Hi all

              image animated asteroid 2012 QG42 from 104

              http://tiny.cc/6pjakw

              backman

              2012/8/29 Michael Busch <michael.william.busch@...>:
              > Everyone,
              >
              > An addition to Lance's email yesterday night:
              >
              > Secondary to astrometry, we would appreciate any attempts at obtaining
              > lightcurves over the next couple of nights, even though QC42 is so close
              > to the Moon.
              >
              > We will attempt radar speckle tracking with Arecibo and the VLBA to
              > determine QC42's pole direction if its spin period is longer than about
              > 2.5 hours, so even a partial lightcurve now will help us in scheduling
              > the radar tracks.
              >
              > More detailed lightcurves after the Moon has moved out of the way will
              > also be appreciated, along with additional astrometry.
              >
              > Thank you all.
              >
              > Michael Busch, on behalf of the radar team

              -----------------------
              Paolo Bacci
              B09 backman.altervista.org
              B33 www.astrofilialtavaldera.it
              104 www.gamp-pt.net
            • olembeolembeolembe
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
                And if anybody is enjoying animations of 2012 QG42, here is mine!

                http://drianwalker.com/observatory.html

                Ian

                --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Bacci <b09.backman@...> wrote:

                > Hi all
                >
                > image animated asteroid 2012 QG42 from 104
                >
                > http://tiny.cc/6pjakw
                >
                > backman
                >
                > 2012/8/29 Michael Busch <michael.william.busch@...>:
                > > Everyone,
                > >
                > > An addition to Lance's email yesterday night:
                > >
                > > Secondary to astrometry, we would appreciate any attempts at obtaining
                > > lightcurves over the next couple of nights, even though QC42 is so close
                > > to the Moon.
                > >
                > > We will attempt radar speckle tracking with Arecibo and the VLBA to
                > > determine QC42's pole direction if its spin period is longer than about
                > > 2.5 hours, so even a partial lightcurve now will help us in scheduling
                > > the radar tracks.
                > >
                > > More detailed lightcurves after the Moon has moved out of the way will
                > > also be appreciated, along with additional astrometry.
                > >
                > > Thank you all.
                > >
                > > Michael Busch, on behalf of the radar team

                > --
                > -----------------------
                > Paolo Bacci
                > B09 backman.altervista.org
                > B33 www.astrofilialtavaldera.it
                > 104 www.gamp-pt.net

              • Patrick Wiggins
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
                  Hi Alan,

                  On 28 Aug 2012, at 18:36, Alan W Harris wrote:

                  > And after the moon gets out of the way in first week of September, it will
                  > be nice and bright and a good photometric target (please, calibrated
                  > photometry rather than yet another movie!).

                  How's about photometry and a movie?

                  http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.JPG

                  http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.GIF (~11 MB)

                  Images were taken through a red filter this morning (12 September) between 0526 and 0607 UT when 2012 QG42 was about 3,441,000 km out and moving across the sky at 35"/min. FOV of the image is 18 x 26 arc minutes.

                  I've got a lot of high thin clouds this evening so I don't know how accurate the photometry is but I'd be interested in hearing if others got similar results.

                  patrick
                  718
                • Tomas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
                    I'm fairly new to the photometry area so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions. From H21 we have 3 nights of data about 210 images in total with SNR on the target of about 50-60 (on a single image) but the coverage on a single night is about 20 minutes. I tried using just Astrometrica with CMC-14 as per R. Dymock, R. Miles: A method for determining the V magnitude of asteroids from CCD images - http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4017
                    Also tried AIP4WIN but it wouldn't run on my Win-7 64-bit (component 'comctl32.ocx' error).

                    Any suggestions on how to get the most of the data we have to try to combine the coverage from different nights (and maybe other observers)?

                    Thank you

                    Tomas Vorobjov
                    IASC Astronomer

                    --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wiggins <paw@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Alan,
                    >
                    > On 28 Aug 2012, at 18:36, Alan W Harris wrote:
                    >
                    > > And after the moon gets out of the way in first week of September, it will
                    > > be nice and bright and a good photometric target (please, calibrated
                    > > photometry rather than yet another movie!).
                    >
                    > How's about photometry and a movie?
                    >
                    > http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.JPG
                    >
                    > http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.GIF (~11 MB)
                    >
                    > Images were taken through a red filter this morning (12 September) between 0526 and 0607 UT when 2012 QG42 was about 3,441,000 km out and moving across the sky at 35"/min. FOV of the image is 18 x 26 arc minutes.
                    >
                    > I've got a lot of high thin clouds this evening so I don't know how accurate the photometry is but I'd be interested in hearing if others got similar results.
                    >
                    > patrick
                    > 718

                  • P. Clay Sherrod
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
                      For photometric reductions there is only one nearly perfect tool: Brian
                      Warner's Canopus software. Nothing quick and easy about the learning curve, but
                      it is excellent and removes all the variables (pun intended) that affect good
                      photometric results.

                      Clay
                      _____
                      Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
                      Arkansas Sky Observatories
                      MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                      MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                      MPC H43 - Conway West
                      http://www.arksky.org/

                      > I'm fairly new to the photometry area so I thought I'd ask for some
                      > suggestions. From H21 we have 3 nights of data about 210 images in total with
                      > SNR on the target of about 50-60 (on a single image) but the coverage on a
                      > single night is about 20 minutes. I tried using just Astrometrica with CMC-14
                      > as per R. Dymock, R. Miles: A method for determining the V magnitude of
                      > asteroids from CCD images - http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4017
                      > Also tried AIP4WIN but it wouldn't run on my Win-7 64-bit (component
                      > 'comctl32.ocx' error).
                      >
                      > Any suggestions on how to get the most of the data we have to try to combine
                      > the coverage from different nights (and maybe other observers)?
                      >
                      > Thank you
                      >
                      > Tomas Vorobjov
                      > IASC Astronomer
                      >
                      > --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wiggins <paw@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Hi Alan,
                      >>
                      >> On 28 Aug 2012, at 18:36, Alan W Harris wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > And after the moon gets out of the way in first week of September, it will
                      >> > be nice and bright and a good photometric target (please, calibrated
                      >> > photometry rather than yet another movie!).
                      >>
                      >> How's about photometry and a movie?
                      >>
                      >> http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.JPG
                      >>
                      >> http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.GIF (~11 MB)
                      >>
                      >> Images were taken through a red filter this morning (12 September) between
                      >> 0526 and 0607 UT when 2012 QG42 was about 3,441,000 km out and moving across
                      >> the sky at 35"/min. FOV of the image is 18 x 26 arc minutes.
                      >>
                      >> I've got a lot of high thin clouds this evening so I don't know how accurate
                      >> the photometry is but I'd be interested in hearing if others got similar
                      >> results.
                      >>
                      >> patrick
                      >> 718

                    • Brian Warner
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2012
                        Hi Tomas,

                        If you followed the full procedure in that paper, thus allowing for variations
                        from image to image due to changing transparency, etc., the data might prove
                        useful, even if they cover only 20 minutes a night.

                        Send me the data from Astrometrica and I can try to merge it here with the data
                        set that includes mine and some from Paolo Bacci.

                        http://www.minorplanet.info/results/2012_QG42.PNG

                        Many times these NEAs have fairly short rotation periods. This appears not to be
                        the case this time.

                        Clear Skies,
                        Brian D. Warner
                        Palmer Divide Observatory

                        On 09/12/2012 04:10, Tomas wrote:
                        > I'm fairly new to the photometry area so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions. From H21 we have 3 nights of data about 210 images in total with SNR on the target of about 50-60 (on a single image) but the coverage on a single night is about 20 minutes. I tried using just Astrometrica with CMC-14 as per R. Dymock, R. Miles: A method for determining the V magnitude of asteroids from CCD images - http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4017
                        > Also tried AIP4WIN but it wouldn't run on my Win-7 64-bit (component 'comctl32.ocx' error).
                        >
                        > Any suggestions on how to get the most of the data we have to try to combine the coverage from different nights (and maybe other observers)?
                        >
                        > Thank you
                        >
                        > Tomas Vorobjov
                        > IASC Astronomer
                        >
                        > --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wiggins <paw@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hi Alan,
                        >>
                        >> On 28 Aug 2012, at 18:36, Alan W Harris wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> And after the moon gets out of the way in first week of September, it will
                        >>> be nice and bright and a good photometric target (please, calibrated
                        >>> photometry rather than yet another movie!).
                        >>
                        >> How's about photometry and a movie?
                        >>
                        >> http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.JPG
                        >>
                        >> http://users.wirelessbeehive.com/~paw/temp/2012QG42.GIF (~11 MB)
                        >>
                        >> Images were taken through a red filter this morning (12 September) between 0526 and 0607 UT when 2012 QG42 was about 3,441,000 km out and moving across the sky at 35"/min. FOV of the image is 18 x 26 arc minutes.
                        >>
                        >> I've got a lot of high thin clouds this evening so I don't know how accurate the photometry is but I'd be interested in hearing if others got similar results.
                        >>
                        >> patrick
                        >> 718

                      • Gerhard Dangl
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 13, 2012
                          Tomas,

                          I am a user of Brian Warner's Canopus software. But I also own the book
                          and the software AIP4WIN. And it works on my W7 64-bit system.

                          Regards
                          Gerhard
                          www.dangl.at