{MPML} 2002 AM31

  • Brian Warner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
      This contradicts radar and other optical observations. I suspect that there was
      a temptation to force zero points to get overlapping data. For example, the
      attached shows the -raw- data (not forced to a period, no corrections for
      phase/geometry changes, and zero points left alone) from two observatories on
      July 18.

      The period, as confirmed by radar, is likely about 3 hours. There is some small
      dispute about this. Also, the asteroid is a known binary, so this must be taken
      into account as well.

      This is proving to be a very troublesome asteroid.

      Clear Skies,
      Brian D. Warner
      Palmer Divide Observatory

      On 07/19/2012 16:24, andrea ferrero wrote:
      > After fourteen nights of observations by Lorenzo Franco - Balzaretto Observatory A81 and Andrea Ferrero - Bigmuskie Observatory B88 , the asteroid 2002 AM 31 reveals a period of 9.58 +-0.01h and an amplitude of 0.20 mag. The lightcurve can be seen following this link http://digidownload.libero.it/A81_Observatory/Images/2002_AM31_LC_V6.PNG .
      >
      > Best regards to all.
      >
      > Andrea Ferrero

    • Lorenzo Franco
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2012
        Hi Brian,

        I have reconsidered the period analisys, obtaining a bimodal solution
        with a period P = 6.41 h (see:
        http://digidownload.libero.it/A81_Observatory/Images/2002_AM31_LC_Bimodal.PNG).

        The period found by the radar probably is a monomodal solution (see:
        http://digidownload.libero.it/A81_Observatory/Images/2002_AM31_LC_Monomodal.PNG).

        To note that the bimodal (6h) and trimodal (9h) solutions are all
        multiples of the basic solution (3h), found by the radar.

        Best regards
        Lorenzo Franco