Comet P/2012 NJ (La Sagra)

  • Gerhard Hahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2012
      Hi to all comet/asteroid friends

      As announced on CBET 3178, we found that the NEA 2012 NJ
      shows a distinct narrow tail. Here we want to share the images.
      At the following link

      http://earn.dlr.de/nea/comet/Comet2012NJ.pdf

      you can find stacked images, which are taken in the R Band filter,
      during the nights July 17 - 19 from the Calar Alto Observatory.

      These images where taken in course of our photometric
      observing programme, and the primary aim of the campaigns
      is to get lightcurve data to determine rotational properties of
      asteroids and comets.

      For 2012 NJ we have now photometry (R) during four nights,
      and can see a preliminary rotation period of about 13 hours, but
      no unique solution yet. We therefore ask other observers, who
      might have photometric data as well to get in touch with us, so
      we could join forces and obtain a better coverage of the rotation
      cycle. Our campaign will cover one additional night.

      Looking forward to hear from you.

      clear skies

      Gerhard Hahn
      Stefano Mottola

      PS.: Congratulations to the La Sagra team for yet another outstanding
      discovery! Via Espana!

      Dr. Gerhard J. Hahn
      Institute of Planetary Research
      German Aerospace Center (DLR)