Re: {MPML} May 20, 2012 Annular Eclipse broadcast LIVE from Area 51's Black Mailbox!

  • P. Clay Sherrod
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2012
      I agree that the content is valid.
      However, it has very little to do with minor planets, and I suspect that if
      everyone started posting at random without approval there could be a problem
      on any of these forums.
      Nothing more.....

      Clay
      _____
      Dr. P. Clay Sherrod
      Arkansas Sky Observatories
      MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
      MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
      MPC H43 - Conway West
      http://www.arksky.org/

      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2012
        Clay is correct in that the post is off topic. Though I do allow occasional off topic posts that are of interest to list members I do urge every to keep on topic and stay with asteroids and comets.

        Thanks

        Richard A. Kowalski
        Catalina Sky Survey
        -Mobile on my iPhone

        >>> scotty@... <mailto:scotty%40scottysmightymini.com>
        >>> 888-687-5444 toll free to my cell

      • Scotty Degenhardt
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2012
          Richard et. al,

          My apologies. My assumption that this eclipse would be of interest to
          all astronomy enthusiasts was incorrect. I have broadcasts many an
          asteroid occultation expedition live in the past and just assumed this
          would be equal in interest. I stand corrected.

        • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2012
            > I have broadcasts many an
            > asteroid occultation expedition live in the past and just assumed this
            > would be equal in interest. I stand corrected.

            Since in certain quarters there doesn't seem to be a distinction between
            planets, protoplanets and asteroids anymore (hint hint), a partial
            occultation of the Sun by Luna does probably qualify for MPML these days.
            :-) Anyway, Scotty's is the first firm announcement of a webcast of the
            ASE from the U.S. (had seen only announcements for Japan so far), so I'm
            grateful for his details. And since the asteroid *occultation* and ASE
            communities are intertwined, even in normal times the announcement was
            only 99% OT (but better suited for eclipse as well as occultation mailing
            lists, of course).

            Dan
          • P. Clay Sherrod
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2012
              This is all fine and good, but it is my understanding that all off topic
              posts are to receive an okay from the moderators and then they are posted BY
              the moderator with his comments as to pertinence of content. The nature of
              the posting was such that it had obviously not been run by the moderator
              prior to posting.

              The point is simple: if everyone decided to post "something that could be
              in some small way be proved to be relevant" to the topic of this forum
              without some restrictions or at least the approval of the group owner, we
              would be overwhelmed with automobile ads (they do eclipse one-another on the
              highways), prescription medicines (which of course all allow things which
              orbit through our bodies to pass more predictably) furniture specials (for
              the chairs and desks on which we dwell to read our MPML postings).....etc.,
              etc.

              I am quite glad that the broadcast is being made....probably will tune in;
              but the post should have been run by Richard first.

              Clay
              _____