Re: {MPML} May 20, 2012 Annular Eclipse broadcast LIVE from Area 51's Black Mailbox!

  • Scotty Degenhardt
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2012
      Dr. Clay,

      I assume you jest, right? The whole thing is a tongue in cheek joke, but
      the broadcast is serious to enable those not in the path to see it. I
      broadcast all of my occultation expeditions live. This one fits that
      category.

      If I have run afoul of this lists rules just ignore the message...

      Scotty

      Santa Fe, NM USA
      http://scottysmightymini.com/
      http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scottys-sky
      scotty@...

      Santa Fe, NM USA
      http://scottysmightymini.com/
      http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scottys-sky
      scotty@...
      888-687-5444 toll free to my cell

      On 5/12/2012 2:34 PM, P. Clay Sherrod wrote:

      > Curious if this "YouTube" announcement was approved by the minor
      > planet list
      > moderator?
      >
      > Dr. Clay
      > _____
      > Arkansas Sky Observatories
      > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
      > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
      > MPC H43 - Conway West
      > http://www.arksky.org/

    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2012
        I agree that the content is valid.
        However, it has very little to do with minor planets, and I suspect that if
        everyone started posting at random without approval there could be a problem
        on any of these forums.
        Nothing more.....

        Clay
        _____
        Dr. P. Clay Sherrod

        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2012
          Clay is correct in that the post is off topic. Though I do allow occasional off topic posts that are of interest to list members I do urge every to keep on topic and stay with asteroids and comets.

          Thanks

          Richard A. Kowalski
          Catalina Sky Survey
          -Mobile on my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2012
            Richard et. al,

            My apologies. My assumption that this eclipse would be of interest to
            all astronomy enthusiasts was incorrect. I have broadcasts many an
            asteroid occultation expedition live in the past and just assumed this
            would be equal in interest. I stand corrected.

          • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2012
              > I have broadcasts many an
              > asteroid occultation expedition live in the past and just assumed this
              > would be equal in interest. I stand corrected.

              Since in certain quarters there doesn't seem to be a distinction between
              planets, protoplanets and asteroids anymore (hint hint), a partial
              occultation of the Sun by Luna does probably qualify for MPML these days.
              :-) Anyway, Scotty's is the first firm announcement of a webcast of the
              ASE from the U.S. (had seen only announcements for Japan so far), so I'm
              grateful for his details. And since the asteroid *occultation* and ASE
              communities are intertwined, even in normal times the announcement was
              only 99% OT (but better suited for eclipse as well as occultation mailing
              lists, of course).

              Dan
            • P. Clay Sherrod
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13, 2012
                This is all fine and good, but it is my understanding that all off topic
                posts are to receive an okay from the moderators and then they are posted BY
                the moderator with his comments as to pertinence of content. The nature of
                the posting was such that it had obviously not been run by the moderator
                prior to posting.

                The point is simple: if everyone decided to post "something that could be
                in some small way be proved to be relevant" to the topic of this forum
                without some restrictions or at least the approval of the group owner, we
                would be overwhelmed with automobile ads (they do eclipse one-another on the
                highways), prescription medicines (which of course all allow things which
                orbit through our bodies to pass more predictably) furniture specials (for
                the chairs and desks on which we dwell to read our MPML postings).....etc.,
                etc.

                I am quite glad that the broadcast is being made....probably will tune in;
                but the post should have been run by Richard first.

                Clay
                _____
                Dr. P. Clay Sherrod