Re: {MPML} Asteroid 2011 AG5 - A Reality Check

  • dfischer@astro.uni-bonn.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2012
      > Asteroid 2011 AG5 has been receiving a lot of attention lately

      Which is a euphemism for: "A single news website wrote a technically
      correct but sensationally titled story about this NEO, then everyone
      copied it minus the caveats, and now we have another unnecessary scare" -
      as if I hadn't known that sequence of events would happen when the
      original story appeared. The only question is why it was coming out in the
      first place: has the "intercept" community grown tired of good ole Apophis
      - the most-abused asteroid in recent memory - and wants a fresher bait to
      reach for research/mission money ...?

      Just wondering,

      Dan