Bright asteroid lightcurve targets

  • Brian Skiff
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2010
      While looking for some bright targets for lightcurve
      determinations, I ran our 'slop' program to produce a list of
      asteroids presently brighter than R mag 16 and with perihelia
      less than 1.9 AU. I then matched the list against Brian Warner's
      lightcurve database to trim out those with well-determined periods.
      The resulting list of 50-some objects is copied to:

      ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/bas/slop.out

      The plain-text table is sorted in RA order, and shows the basic
      orbital elements a,e,i as a guide, along with q. The list is
      further trimmed to exclude objects at < 80 deg solar elongation,
      at less than 20 deg galactic latitude, and south of -10 Dec
      (so is biased for northern-hemisphere observers).
      If a low-quality period is shown in the Warner file, I give
      that period and its U quality rating. I have also omitted several
      objects observed to have very long (days or more) periods.
      The Hungarias and Phocaeas are flagged.
      A few of the objects are underway by various observers,
      including me, but obviously there are plenty of targets. Note also
      the low-numbered objects coming up now in the morning sky at the
      bottom of the list.
      Since the northern sky has nearly complete coverage of
      photometric reference stars in the Sloan r' band from either SDSS
      or the Carlsberg Meridian Circle, differential on-chip photometry
      can be done that is adjusted directly to the standard scale without
      the need for separate standard-star observations/reductions.
      So you have no excuse not to try this!

      \Brian