Re: {MPML} 136199<134340

  • Franck Marchis
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 8, 2010
      About:
      > ] the present observation indicates that Eris has
      > ] a diameter < 2320 km -- therefore smaller than Pluto, whose
      > ] diameter is > 2340 km.
      >
      > I wouldn't be so certain that Pluto is larger than 2340 km.
      > There was an interesting presentation at the 2010 DPS meeting
      > about a model for Pluto's troposphere that yielded a diameter
      > much closer to our mutual event value near 2300 km. Unfortunately,
      > their fitted diameter isn't in the abstract, and I failed to jot
      > down the number presented at DPS. I do remember commenting on how
      > I liked the result because of how close it was to our mutual event result.

      Below various Pluto size measurements that I found in the literature and elsewhere.
      I am not sure where comes from D>2340 km for Pluto in IAU #9185. Could you clarify?

      Bulk Properties of Pluto and Charon
      http://www.boulder.swri.edu/~buie/biblio/pub031.pdf
      D=2290-2400 km

      Tholen et al., 1987b. D.J. Tholen, M.W. Buie and C.E. Swift, Circumstances for Pluto-Charon mutual events in 1987. Astron. J. 93 (1987b), pp. 244–247. Full Textvia CrossRef
      http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?1987AJ.....93..244T
      D=2290 km

      Tholen et al., 1987c. D.J. Tholen, M.W. Buie and C.E. Swift, Circumstances for Pluto-Charon mutual events in 1988. Astron. J. 94 (1987c), pp. 1681–1685. Full Text via CrossRef
      D=2244 km

      Buie et al. 2006
      http://stacks.iop.org/1538-3881/132/290/pdf
      "assuming a radius of 1152 +/- 10 km" (D=2304 +/- 20 km)
      footnote 2: "Choosing a value for the radius of Pluto is not a simple matter. Current measurements from mutual events and stellar occultations do not completely agree, and explanations of the differences depend on the models chosen to interpret the data. Here we use the number adopted in most Pluto map-fitting projects with an error bar chosen to include the range of model values for the radius from mutual event and stellar occultation data."

      Large changes in Pluto's atmosphere as revealed by recent stellar occultations
      http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v424/n6945/full/nature01766.html
      no size reported or I missed it.

      Charon/Pluto Mass Ratio Obtained with HST CCD Observations in 1991 and 1993
      http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?1996AJ....111.1368N
      see Table 16
      Mutual event TB90 -> D=2302 +/- 12 km
      Mutual event YB94 -> D= 2352 +/- 12 km
      EY92 Stellar Occ -> D = 2412 /-22 km
      A94 HST FOC images -> D= 2320 km

      Pluto's lower atmosphere structure and methane abundance from high-resolution spectroscopy and stellar occultations
      http://www.aanda.org/index.php?option=com_article&access=bibcode&Itemid=129&bibcode=2009A%2526A...495L..17LFUL
      D= 2336 km

      http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/129/3/1718/fulltext
      THE STRUCTURE OF PLUTO'S ATMOSPHERE FROM THE 2002 AUGUST 21 STELLAR OCCULTATION
      D=2350 km

      Wikipedia
      D=2304 km
      from Buie et al. 2006

      Solar View
      D=2274 km
      http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?1987AJ.....93..244T

      an old but interesting review
      http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1997/AnnaChernovetskaya.shtml

      There are more of them...
      Cheers

      --- Franck Marchis, Ph.D. -----------
      Planetary Astronomer
      SETI Institute & UC-Berkeley
      Phone +1 650 810 0236 or +1 510 642 3928
      http://astro.berkeley.edu/~fmarchis
      "C'est drole les cons, ca repose; c'est comme le feuillage au milieu des roses" (J.-L. Dabadie)

    • Marshall Eubanks
      Message 60 of 60 , Nov 9, 2010
        Ah, thanks for catching that...

        Marshall