{MPML} Eleanor (Glo) Helin

  • Brian D. Warner
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009
      This sad announcement was made to the DPS membership today:

      ELEANOR "GLO" HELIN

      Eleanor "Glo" Helin passed away in late January. She was one of the
      pioneers of the search for Near Earth objects (NEOs) and established
      and led the NEAT Project at JPL. The NEAT Program discovered hundreds
      of NEOs, many comets, and 64 Potentially Hazardous Asteroids
      (PHAs). Glo is survived by her son. If you would like to send him a
      note or card, his address is: Bruce Helin, 210 E. Elm St., Flagstaff,
      AZ 86001.

      I had the pleasure of meeting her at the first Minor Planet
      Amateur-Professional Workshop. She was a very kind and gracious
      lady.

      Clear Skies,
      Brian D. Warner
      Palmer Divide Observatory
      http://www.MinorPlanetObserver.com

      Collaborative Asteroid Lightcurve Link (CALL)
      http://www.MinorPlanetObserver.com/astlc/default.htm
    • Alan Cahill
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009
        I had correspondence with Eleanor many years ago, at the time I was
        starting out in asteroid research. I still have her letters posted from
        JPL. She was a great encouragement to me.
        It truly saddens me to hear of her death.
        She will be missed.

        Alan Cahill
        J94

        In message <91A76B2387C6481BA5C55AD97F2A74EE@MPODEV2>, Brian D. Warner
        <Brian@...> writes

        > This sad announcement was made to the DPS membership today:
        >
        > ELEANOR "GLO" HELIN
        >
        > Eleanor "Glo" Helin passed away in late January. She was one of the
        > pioneers of the search for Near Earth objects (NEOs) and
        > established
        > and led the NEAT Project at JPL. The NEAT Program discovered
        > hundreds
        > of NEOs, many comets, and 64 Potentially Hazardous Asteroids
        > (PHAs). Glo is survived by her son. If you would like to send him a
        > note or card, his address is: Bruce Helin, 210 E. Elm St.,
        > Flagstaff,
        > AZ 86001.
        >
        > I had the pleasure of meeting her at the first Minor Planet
        > Amateur-Professional Workshop. She was a very kind and gracious
        > lady.

        Alan Cahill (J94)
        Abbeydale Observatory,
        Gloucester.
        UK
        http://mountabbeydale.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
      • Alain Maury
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2009
          These recent months this list has taken a new sad twist. Steve Ostro, then
          Charles Juels, now Glo.
          I have lost contact with Glo since at least ten years, but I mut add to your
          text that not only was she one of the 3 pionners (if you count Gene
          Shoemaker and Tom Gehrels), but she tried very hard getting others to
          observe NEOs. She collaborated with many observatories worldwide trying to
          get them to make their own survey. She has been a good ambassador of JPL
          around the world. Behind every working survey there are great people (money
          helps, but you can give money to monkeys, they will not produce much), and
          Glo was one of the top one, starting with films on the 18inch at Palomar to
          the era of digitized surveys. She was hard working, and earned her place
          fighting for it. RESPECT.
          Alain