20000 VARUNA : Important observation, Dec 7 at 2 hrs UT.

  • Dave Herald
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2008
      I'm involved with a group that is making a serious effort to observe occultations TNO
      asteroids. A successful observation will directly determine the diameter of the asteroid.
      Additionally, the light curve has the potential to indicate the presence of any atmosphere
      (as in the case of Pluto).

      The challenges in observing such an event are huge. Because of their slow motion and large
      distance, there are very few occultations by any one TNO. Also, with a parallax of only
      0.2" or so, a positional uncertainty of 0.2" equates to an uncertainty in the location of
      the occultation path of around the radius of the Earth. And the typical ephemeris accuracy
      of a TNO is somewhat greater than 0.2"!

      On December 7 we are confidently predicting an occultation of a mag 14.7 star by the TNO
      20000 Varuna. The occultation path is expected to pass across South America and southern
      Africa. Brazil and Namibia would appear to be the most likely locations.

      The text below sets out the activities that have taken place in the last few weeks to try
      to get an accurate prediction for this event. It also include links that give the latest
      predictions of this event. Note that the occultation is predicted to last about 43 secs,
      based on an assumed diameter of 900km.

      We encourage anyone located in South America or southern Africa to monitor this event -
      noting that the actual path location is still uncertain by perhaps 2000km.

      Anyone in those regions that are interested in monitoring this event should contact
      myself, J.Lecacheux, or Bruno Sicardy (see his page below) for any guidance they might
      need.

      Dave Herald
      Canberra, Australia