Small Asteroid Predicted to Cause Brilliant Fireball over Northern Sudan (2008 TC3)

  • Ron Baalke
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news159.html

      Small Asteroid Predicted to Cause Brilliant Fireball over Northern Sudan
      Don Yeomans
      NASA/JPL Near-Earth Object Program Office
      October 6, 2008

      A very small, few-meter sized asteroid, designated 2008 TC3, was found
      Monday morning by the Catalina Sky Survey from their observatory near
      Tucson Arizona. Preliminary orbital computations by the Minor Planet
      Center suggested an atmospheric entry of this object within a day of
      discovery. JPL confirmed that an atmospheric impact will very likely
      occur during early morning twilight over northern Sudan, north-eastern
      Africa, at 2:46 UT Tuesday morning. The fireball, which could be
      brilliant, will travel west to east (from azimuth = 281 degrees) at a
      relative atmospheric impact velocity of 12.8 km/s and arrive at a very
      low angle (19 degrees) to the local horizon. It is very unlikely that
      any sizable fragments will survive passage through the Earth's atmosphere.

      Objects of this size would be expected to enter the Earth's atmosphere
      every few months on average but this is the first time such an event has
      been predicted ahead of time.
    • Matson, Robert D.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        Hi All,

        I used Bill Gray's FindOrb to generate topocentric coordinates
        for 21N, 33E, and then converted these to Az/El. Here is how
        it will look from that location in Sudan:

        UTC Azim Elev Range V (km/sec)
        ----- ----- ----- ------- ----------
        02:38 280.8 +14.3 4828 km 10.9
        02:39 280.8 +14.9 4166 km 11.1
        02:40 280.8 +15.6 3492 km 11.4
        02:41 280.7 +16.3 2804 km 11.6
        02:42 280.4 +17.1 2102 km 11.8
        02:43 279.9 +18.0 1387 km 12.0
        02:44 277.9 +19.3 659 km 12.4

        The low encounter velocity, combined with the relatively shallow
        entry angle means that production of meteorites is pretty much
        guaranteed. But is recovery likely in that part of the world?

        --Rob
      • gpobs
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          The real question is how much pieces will cost. ;^)

          >The low encounter velocity, combined with the relatively shallow
          >entry angle means that production of meteorites is pretty much
          >guaranteed. But is recovery likely in that part of the world?
        • Richard Kowalski
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
            On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:22 PM, gpobs wrote:

            > The real question is how much pieces will cost. ;^)

            Thanks everyone who has offered congrats both publicly and privately.

            It's been a busy and exciting day up here on Mt. Lemmon...

            I guess it goes without saying that I would dearly love to obtain
            even a gram of this object, but the price might be well above my pay
            grade.

            Enjoy the show!

            --
            Richard Kowalski
            Catalina Sky Survey

          • John Mahony
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
              > I guess it goes without saying that I would dearly love to obtain
              > even a gram of this object, but the price might be well above my pay
              > grade.

              I don't think so. I was lucky enough to witness the Park Forest (Chicago area) fireball a few years ago, which was about the same size as this object. A few months after that, our new local observatory was hosting its first annual regional star party, and one of our vendors was a meteorite dealer. He had small slices (about 1/3 gram, I'd guess) of Park Forest meteorite for $25. I told him that since I had sent in "fireball reports" to various meteor organizations, complete with descriptions of the trajectory, I deserved a "finder's fee", so he knocked $5 off the price.

              -John